Replies from programs/Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abs1980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received anything back from any programs they applied to??
If not, how long does it"usually"take to hear something back...

Thanks for your info.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted on September 1 and all of my LORs are already in the system. I don't expect a response from any program until at least a month from now. It's just too early in the process.

Wow,
A month, I guess your right, it does take time to go through all those apps.

Sorry about the game last night, I am a FSU fan... ;)

Good luck to ya'

errrrm, can anyone tell me HOW they contact you for an interview? By email, phone, or regular mail?

You might hear something sooner than you think (depending on the program). I know some programs will start inviting people for interviews in the first couple of weeks in September (but others will wait until October). Last year, the first interview invite in the path forum was on Sept 7th.

Is it bad to have an interview too early? Seems like programs might forget you by match time if you're interviewing in Sept/Oct.

abs1980 said:
Wow,
A month, I guess your right, it does take time to go through all those apps.

Sorry about the game last night, I am a FSU fan... ;)

Good luck to ya'

Don't remind me. ;)

Got an interview invite today from Grand Rapids/Spectrum Health Program in Michigan. Submitted 9/1.

I submitted my app within the first hour 9/1 and only ONE out of 8 programs have downloaded my app. Does anybody else have this issue? I have everything up with exception of one pending LoR and my med school transcript.

mr.annoying said:
I submitted my app within the first hour 9/1 and only ONE out of 8 programs have downloaded my app. Does anybody else have this issue? I have everything up with exception of one pending LoR and my med school transcript.

Why did you apply to only 8 programs?

zzzzzz said:
Is it bad to have an interview too early? Seems like programs might forget you by match time if you're interviewing in Sept/Oct.

nah -- you're usually ranked sometime very soon after interviewing and it's the ranking that will sort of determine where you lie in the general pool. then the comments and "gut reaction" from the people that interviewed you will determine your final place. depending on the specialty and the number of spots, there really aren't THAT many people interviewing so it's not hard to remember everyone. plus you can get further sorted out based on your demonstrated interested -- i.e. follow up calls/emails, thank you letters, second looks, etc. and then there's that rush a few days before the lists have to be submitted -- "yes, i interviewed in september and I'm just calling to let you know that I will be ranking your program very highly on my list..." -- that can sometimes jog memories as well.

-ed

Solideliquid said:

I only applied to 10 programs, I am a US born-IMG going into FP with 232/94 on step 1 and taking Step 2 in OCT. Would you recc. applying to more to be safe...
Thanks for input. :confused:

Last year, BIDMC offered me an interview within 24 hours of me submitting my application. And I didn't have any letters in at that time. Now that's what I call a positive control. Apparently, my application had gone through :laugh:

abs1980 said:
I only applied to 10 programs, I am a US born-IMG going into FP with 232/94 on step 1 and taking Step 2 in OCT. Would you recc. applying to more to be safe...
Thanks for input. :confused:

I would highly recommend applying to at LEAST 20 more programs.

Solideliquid said:

For family medicine? I guess if he only applied to top tier programs then he might want some more.

Solideliquid said:

Thats crazy in my opinion. FM is a buyers market, and statistically speaking you are worlds above most FMG's if you are at 232/94. Plus, even among FMG's, most people get their number one pick in FM. The odds are in your favor with 8 programs by far! I am only applying to 6, and I have your exact USMLE score and am in a DO school. Most programs in FM go through about 7-8 times as many interviews as they fill residents, and sometimes as we all know they still do not fill.

Solideliquid said:

I'm entering Pediatrics and have a fairly competitive application from what my advisors are telling me. Plus I only want to go to one specific geographic region.

corpsmanUP said:
Thats crazy in my opinion. FM is a buyers market, and statistically speaking you are worlds above most FMG's if you are at 232/94. Plus, even among FMG's, most people get their number one pick in FM. The odds are in your favor with 8 programs by far! I am only applying to 6, and I have your exact USMLE score and am in a DO school. Most programs in FM go through about 7-8 times as many interviews as they fill residents, and sometimes as we all know they still do not fill.

I'm just saying 8 programs is a risk. When you register with ERAS they give you the first 15 free anyway. Also what if some of those 8 are not IMG friendly?

Solideliquid said:
I'm just saying 8 programs is a risk. When you register with ERAS they give you the first 15 free anyway. Also what if some of those 8 are not IMG friendly?

Let's make sure you guys aren't mistaking me for the IMG guy. The IMG guy is applying to 10 programs for Family Medicine.

I'm applying to 8 programs for Pediatrics, and I'm not an IMG. Peds isn't very competitive, and I have a pretty decent application.

Also, ERAS allows 10 applications with the initial fee so I figure 8 should be fine for me.

So is anybody having the same problem I am having? Only 1/8 programs have downloaded my app so far. Thanks!

mr.annoying said:
So is anybody having the same problem I am having? Only 1/8 programs have downloaded my app so far. Thanks!

I've had 10 out of 12 medicine programs download my app and associated documents within 2 business days of submitting it. I can't believe how fast they've been! I'm sure it varies from program to program, and field to field. Maybe peds tends to be a bit slower. I know medicine programs don't all fill every year, so perhaps they tend to be a bit more proactive about things. In any case though, it's VERY early, so I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point.

I would guess that some programs only download once a week and only meet once a week or so. Some might have taken an extended holiday, or might just operate on a schedule different from that of ERAS. You never know.

BTW, I (and a few others) received interview offers today (9/7) for anesthesia at SLU.

My dean who is a former peds residency director at a california program said that his program didnt start downloading files until the mid to end of september.

And when these places are offering you interviews already, are they offering you an interview in September or just scheduling you in advance for an interview in november?

scholes said:
My dean who is a former peds residency director at a california program said that his program didnt start downloading files until the mid to end of september.

And when these places are offering you interviews already, are they offering you an interview in September or just scheduling you in advance for an interview in november?

SLU offered 4 dates from 9/27-10/8

another IMG forum, post interviews already in the NYC-mainomides, St. barnabas...I still don't see any of my info downloaded!! Oh well,,Match 2007..here I come!

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm just super OCD when it comes to my application, so I was a bit worried that there was something wrong with my app which was delaying the downloading of my files. Hopefully they'll start getting downloaded soon though!

How do you get the interview invitations? Are they emails? Mail? Messages in ERAS?

Two years ago when I did this, 75% were by email, 25% by US mail. I did not get phone calls but apparently some programs will call you (perhaps in addition to another means, if you don't respond right away maybe and you are a good candidate).

I even heard of, one path program paging someone to invite them to an interview (and this was not their home school).