Repetition of Gre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackinjac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I am wondering would repetition of GRE damage the image of my application. I already took the GRE twice and still didn`t get the desired result. I plan to take it again. I know some of the schools just dont care and take the highest scores. But I am still concerned with that . First attempt: Q148 V143 AWA3. Second attempt: Q160 V145 AWA: grade not out yet. Any opinion will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Multiple GRE Scores | PowerScore Test Preparation

In my experience schools dont really care how many times you take it. And like you said many of the schools will “superscore” the GRE by taking the highest score from each section anyway. So I personally don’t think taking the GRE a few times hurts an application at all.

PTCAS - Directory
Search for the programs you want to apply to and you can find exactly what they are looking for as far as GRE goes and how they individually view it as part of admissions.

i dont think it matters, btw good quant score second time around, did you only study for quant? it didn't seem like your verbal went up as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools really don't care.. Plus you pick and choose which exam date you want to send, so those first ones you don't even have to send.

Hi Everyone
I am wondering would repetition of GRE damage the image of my application. I already took the GRE twice and still didn`t get the desired result. I plan to take it again. I know some of the schools just dont care and take the highest scores. But I am still concerned with that . First attempt: Q148 V143 AWA3. Second attempt: Q160 V145 AWA: grade not out yet. Any opinion will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
No worries, I do not think it would damage your application.
If anything, some programs encourage students to take GRE multiple times.
It not only shows them you are willing to overcome admission related challenges but also can strengthen your application.
I can't tell just by looking at your scores but I would see if your scores are close to the average of accepted students of the program you are applying.

Remember, GRE is not the only thing they consider.
Have you worked on your essay?
Do you have strong recommendation letters?
Have you done observation in various settings?
Is your program rolling? what is the deadline?

To answer whether taking GRE multiple times is risky, you can only answer.
Because taking GRE means you consume time, money, and energy, I don't know exactly what your situation is.

i dont think it matters, btw good quant score second time around, did you only study for quant? it didn't seem like your verbal went up as much.
I studied for both. but I am not good at verbal in general.

No worries, I do not think it would damage your application.
If anything, some programs encourage students to take GRE multiple times.
It not only shows them you are willing to overcome admission related challenges but also can strengthen your application.
I can't tell just by looking at your scores but I would see if your scores are close to the average of accepted students of the program you are applying.

Remember, GRE is not the only thing they consider.
Have you worked on your essay?
Do you have strong recommendation letters?
Have you done observation in various settings?
Is your program rolling? what is the deadline?

To answer whether taking GRE multiple times is risky, you can only answer.
Because taking GRE means you consume time, money, and energy, I don't know exactly what your situation is.

Hi
I have three recommendation letters from 2 physical therapists and one professor. I did spend long time working with these three referrers, which allow them to know me in a deeper level. I done observation in a hospital, private clinic and working as PTAid in a physical therapy center right now. I do have some schools with rolling admission. but many of them have deadlines on early October. I agree with you that GRE is time and energy consuming, which kinda prevents me from focusing on my personal statement.

Schools really don't care.. Plus you pick and choose which exam date you want to send, so those first ones you don't even have to send.
I just want to be clarified. Do we have to report every attempt on PTCAS? I read the instruction from PTCAS saying we must list every attempt on the application. But when I go to the actual application, there is space for only one score entry. Am I correct?

I am also taking the GRE for a second time in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know if we can submit our application before our official GRE scores get submitted to PTCAS? Or do we have to wait for the scores to show up and then we can submit it? Obvi, I would like to submit asap...

I am also taking the GRE for a second time in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know if we can submit our application before our official GRE scores get submitted to PTCAS? Or do we have to wait for the scores to show up and then we can submit it? Obvi, I would like to submit asap...
You can submit before receiving scores, as PTCAS still allows you to edit the standardized test section after submission. They encourage submitting as soon as you're ready, and not waiting for other materials to arrive.

You can submit before receiving scores, as PTCAS still allows you to edit the standardized test section after submission. They encourage submitting as soon as you're ready, and not waiting for other materials to arrive.

Thanks!