MD Repercussions of taking a leave of absence for mental health? I'm an IMG.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaarage

Reaction score
MS2 in Australia, planning to go back to the USA. I've gone through a very stressful home-life situation that has affected my mental health greatly. Basically I was living in an unsafe environment with a hostile substance-abusing friend causing me lots of anxiety, and I even had to be relocated because of it. I have been meeting with psychologists and counselors, and I know I will recover from the situation but I need a break. I have already been struggling and performing below-average on my exams, and with STEP coming up I do not confidently think I will be able to perform well on it.

I spoke with faculty and they mentioned that a leave of absence may hinder my ability to match (which is already lower as an IMG). If I take a leave of absence, it would have to be for one year as I would have to wait until next year for the classes to be offered. I don't plan on going for a competitive specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Not doing well on Step will lower your chances even more. Take the LOA, you safety and wellbeing is way more important. In a year you will report back how this was one of the best decisions you ever made.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are in a position where you need to take an LOA for mental health - then forget everything else and take it.

It may be more difficult to match after an LOA, but it would be near impossible if you don’t take the LOA and bomb on Step and subsequent rotations.

Keep in mind that this is just a profession with much more to life than it. I'd rather walk away a thousand times than to not have a true peace of mind. You can't be successful if you're not whole within.