*Repeating topics from your Personal Statement in your Secondaries?*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lickerwhicker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The general advice I have read on this issue is that you should avoid repeating yourself if possible, but its okay to go more in depth into a certain topic if it really fits with the prompt. Obviously don't copy and paste.
You have the freedom to write whatever you want in the secondary. But pay attention to the prompt. For example, if the prompt asks you for "a specific experience in which you promoted diversity," talk about one specific experience. If the prompt asks "how would you bring diversity to the class," you can talk about more examples than just one. Try to put a different spin on things you've already talked about in a PS or in the work/activities section.

The general advice I have read on this issue is that you should avoid repeating yourself if possible, but its okay to go more in depth into a certain topic if it really fits with the prompt. Obviously don't copy and paste.
You have the freedom to write whatever you want in the secondary. But pay attention to the prompt. For example, if the prompt asks you for "a specific experience in which you promoted diversity," talk about one specific experience. If the prompt asks "how would you bring diversity to the class," you can talk about more examples than just one. Try to put a different spin on things you've already talked about in a PS or in the work/activities section.

Good advice above

When you say you can talk about multiple examples, do you mean multiple examples of ways you are diverse, or the multiple ways you were shaped by your one experience? I was thinking about taking two routes:

A) my passion for music since I was young, the ways I found beauty not only in itself but also in the ways I could use music to help others, the ways music nurtured my creativity, attention to detail, flexibility, etc., , and how the values I've learned through music make me a unique applicant and will help me do well in medical school and be a compassionate physician.

B) i am a LGBTQIA+ applicant, female, and Asian-American, and how my experiences with my identities shaped me to be X person and allowed me to be a support system for people who identified with me, and how I would like to continue being that system of support in medical school and as a physician