Renegotiate contract for advanced procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiSox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a few months into my first job out of fellowship at an ortho group - I'm currently salaried with an RVU based production bonus. There are advanced procedures that were not previously offered at the group - I have access to an ASC and I'm getting contracts for set up for a few of the procedures including peripheral nerve stim (Sprint), BVN and MILD procedure. Obviously the reimbursement for said procedures is more significant than the RVU numbers - my plan is to renegotiate my current contract so that I'm getting a percentage of total billing for procedures that I'm establishing at the practice. I wanted to get some input from anyone who has experience with this and advice on how to broach the subject with the group.

Members don't see this ad.

Will you have ownership in ASC? If not I smell Stark issues with what you're proposing. Probably better off sticking to RVU model, as pro fee isn't great for any of the above.

Reactions: 1 user
Whoa. You can’t get a cut of the total facility ASC billing unless you are an owner. You can negotiate a professional service agreement with the ASC and get maybe $90 per wrvu or buy into the ASC. But you can’t just ask for a share of the total facility reimbursement for your cases.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa. You can’t get a cut of the total facility ASC billing unless you are an owner. You can negotiate a professional service agreement with the ASC and get maybe $90 per wrvu or buy into the ASC. But you can’t just ask for a share of the total facility reimbursement for your cases.
I stand corrected - it's the professional service agreement is what I'm inquiring about not the total facility ASC - per my contract I'm given equity/shares in the ASC. Appreciate the input

Buy into the surgical center. Your only real option.

The above are potential money losers for the ASC, so you don't have the best leverage, but even different % of pro fee collections for procedures in their ASC vs clinic is fishy.

Reactions: 1 users
Cleanest option is to negotiate for highest $/rvu you can via a PSA— if there are multiple ASC’s within driving distance for you, you should have some room to negotiate.

Another possibility, if your ortho group happens to have a big ownership stake in this ASC, is to negotiate for a higher base.

Reactions: 1 user
Cleanest option is to negotiate for highest $/rvu you can via a PSA— if there are multiple ASC’s within driving distance for you, you should have some room to negotiate.

Another possibility, if your ortho group happens to have a big ownership stake in this ASC, is to negotiate for a higher base.
It's an in-office ASC that is owned solely by the group. Also a second, much larger ASC (that I don't use) where the othro/spine do most of their cases. That's good to know, definitely looking for the cleanest option.