Removed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymousapplicant33

Reaction score
Removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What state was your undergrad in? Did your college have an associated medical school with an MD-PhD program? If so, apply there.

Is your PI/research in a field you want to pursue once a part of an MD-PhD program? For shadowing, what specialties were covered?

In my opinion, all of your letters are fine. You can ask them to talk about a certain aspect (i.e., they were your teacher) to cover multiple bases that med schools may require.

Best of luck.

What state was your undergrad in? Did your college have an associated medical school with an MD-PhD program? If so, apply there.

Is your PI/research in a field you want to pursue once a part of an MD-PhD program? For shadowing, what specialties were covered?

In my opinion, all of your letters are fine. You can ask them to talk about a certain aspect (i.e., they were your teacher) to cover multiple bases that med schools may require.

Best of luck.
Removed

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I need to see a little more community service that is not so heavy on tutoring or fundraising/disease awareness. Specifically, food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Otherwise, why not just go for the PhD?

I need to see a little more community service that is not so heavy on tutoring or fundraising/disease awareness. Specifically, food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Otherwise, why not just go for the PhD?
As part of the scholars program at my university we did a lot of community service which is honestly what a lot of those hours are (meals on wheels, local food banks/shelters, donation drives, etc.). Does that address your concern? We did quite a variety of different things around campus too (not all service), so writing about that succinctly enough for it to fit in my work/activities section is going to be challenging.

As part of the scholars program at my university we did a lot of community service which is honestly what a lot of those hours are (meals on wheels, local food banks/shelters, donation drives, etc.). Does that address your concern? We did quite a variety of different things around campus too (not all service), so writing about that succinctly enough for it to fit in my work/activities section is going to be challenging.
A little bit, but realize a lot of applicants were part of similar programs. This doesn't help you stand out or demonstrate a strong service orientation.

Moved to Physician Scientist forums.

You may want to contact Fencer through PM. I don't do lists for MD/Phd.

FYI... standard advice

I tell applicants to be very open to applying broadly. Take AAMC table B-8 in excel from the AAMC FACTS tables webpage. Calculate number of applicants per matriculating slot of all programs. Select the list of MSTP programs from the NIGMS website (just keep in mind that 2 of them are DVM/PhD programs). Arrange the spreadsheet by size of entry class. Examine table B-12 to see if a particular year was odd with more matriculants than it seems. Check their websites. For example, my program takes 7 applicants every year since 2018, we used to take 4-5 prior to that. We just received an Impact Score of top 5% in our T32 MSTP renewal, and we will be adding an extra slot per year. Examine NIH funding tables at the Blue Ridge or NIH websites, particularly looking at funding from the NIH Institute of your area of interest (NCI, NIA, etc.). Depending upon your stats, you will group the 51 MSTPs by groups of 15-20, and select several from each group for your list... You have to have different levels of difficulty to make sure that you get into the best program for you (interest, fit, location, etc. low in the scale is USNWR ranking or perceived prestige). Choose at least 5-10 from each tier (more in top tier if you wish)... Apply early, if you need to triage interviews, that would be a good problem to have. If you follow my advice, you will get MD/PhD acceptance early from the bottom tier, and might end up in one of your dream schools by matriculation date.

You have listed several non-MSTP applications with very poor odds... There are better ways of optimizing your chances (see above) and/or PM me.

FYI... standard advice

I tell applicants to be very open to applying broadly. Take AAMC table B-8 in excel from the AAMC FACTS tables webpage. Calculate number of applicants per matriculating slot of all programs. Select the list of MSTP programs from the NIGMS website (just keep in mind that 2 of them are DVM/PhD programs). Arrange the spreadsheet by size of entry class. Examine table B-12 to see if a particular year was odd with more matriculants than it seems. Check their websites. For example, my program takes 7 applicants every year since 2018, we used to take 4-5 prior to that. We just received an Impact Score of top 5% in our T32 MSTP renewal, and we will be adding an extra slot per year. Examine NIH funding tables at the Blue Ridge or NIH websites, particularly looking at funding from the NIH Institute of your area of interest (NCI, NIA, etc.). Depending upon your stats, you will group the 51 MSTPs by groups of 15-20, and select several from each group for your list... You have to have different levels of difficulty to make sure that you get into the best program for you (interest, fit, location, etc. low in the scale is USNWR ranking or perceived prestige). Choose at least 5-10 from each tier (more in top tier if you wish)... Apply early, if you need to triage interviews, that would be a good problem to have. If you follow my advice, you will get MD/PhD acceptance early from the bottom tier, and might end up in one of your dream schools by matriculation date.

You have listed several non-MSTP applications with very poor odds... There are better ways of optimizing your chances (see above) and/or PM me.
Thank you for the advice and resources!

FYI... standard advice

Moderators: please find a way to sticky this. Thank you!