Remote blood pressure monitoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgdg

Reaction score
I am an independent primary care internist.
I would like to know more about setting up remote BP monitoring for my practice.
Also, are there third party companies that contract with physicians to do this for them (outside of my patient panel).
Would love to hear your experiences and setup tips! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in new York City you and PM me and I will share you the third company I use.
Otherwise, I would not know which companies run this otherwise.

Ultimately this is a DIY project if you are ambitious enough.

Step 1) Buy 4G enabled FDA approved automated sphygmomanometers
Step 2) Work with the company that sold you these machines to enable the web platform that records patient data and set up provider and patient portal.
Step 3) Hire a staff member (doesn't even have to be medically trained. a computer trained person is fine) to monitor the automated warnings when BP thresholds are crossed
Step 3A) contact the patient via phone or schedule follow up to review these reports

Step 4) Bill 99453 for initiation one time
Step 5) Bill 99454, 99457, 99458 accordingly each month for the patients. Understand that while virtually most insurances cover these codes, only those with Medicaid (not straight but rather Medi/Medi or Managed Medicaid, or all three) and Medicare with a supplementary insurance (like the AARP supplement that pays the coinsurance) will pay for it 100% with zero patient out of pocket costs. Otherwise get ready for patient anger and fury over a coinsurance amount and having to explain why these codes did not require the patient to come into the office to be seen (patients dont know 99213 from 99453)

If you go the DIY route, know there is a fairly high upfront cost. But if patients use it well over time, then this is a net profit endeavor.

The third party company I use takes care of Steps 1-3 for me. 3A is something I do personally. I have trained by office staff to do Step 4/5 for me.
When billing the RPM codes, you dont really need to write notes. Send an empty note. When insurance companies have requested chart reviews, I sent in the BP monitoring report from the web platform and they are fine with that.

This generates a very good amount of revenue for me each month. I have also been able to keep many patients out of the hospital (I think) with this. This may not be too useful for "healthy" patients. But it is definitely useful for the CAD, CKD, CVA, OSA, obese etc... difficult to control BP patients as it justifies my increasing meds and the patients feel more at ease using more meds because "the average BP is getting higher and not just one isolated measurement in the offiec which could be exertional"

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.
I am in Virginia. Wonder if any companies can partner here.
Do you know if Medicare Advantage plans cover 100% of cost?

varies by patient have your office manager or whoever check the patients insurance plan through the provider portals . For Medicare sign up for the Medicare connex portal and search the patients plans . If they have the usual 20% coinsurance after deductible then RPM will also be subject to that . Patients must be made aware ahead of time or else lots of anger comes your way after

Reactions: 1 user