relocating nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a big-time home-body who loves the southern rockies where I live. This is my third time applying, and will apply to more schools this time, but there are a few catches:

1. My husband says it's insane to move. Love or hate our home now, we don't have the cash or credit to sell and move somewhere else. He wouldn't mind moving for four years but it's just not logical or feasable.

2. I've recently tried for a refinance and found out that he is completely right about our financial situation.

3. I still have Indiana, Arizona, and Maryland, along with my home state of new mexico on my amcas application.

Last night I had an absolute nightmare that we were moving for medschool. You think I'd be happy, but I was totally sad and freaked out. We had to move back to Arizona where I always felt like I failed miserably everywhere but EMS because my parents live there and they are a well known Doctor and nurse. Once again I was 'doctor morgan's daughter' or 'beverly's daughter', and seemed to be failing at everything I did because I was in their shaddow.

Should I take the other schools off my application? I know I should apply to many schools, but even if I get in, it'd be worthless if we can't move, and it's not like I'll have the year to work even more than full time since I'll also have to finish up a master's before starting med school. Plus that nightmare is bugging me big time.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

See the other topic in this forum, where the only school that someone was accepted was to a school that they didn't want to go.

If you know that you can't/won't go to a particular school if accepted, you should not apply there. If you get in and don't go, that will be one less school that you can go to in the future, should you not get into a local school. While lots of people advise to apply broadly, I think an underlying assumption in that advice is that you will go to any of those schools if you are accepted.