Release From Active Duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finiship up my last year of my ADSO with my GMO time and moving onto a civlian residency.

I'm in the process of getting my release from active duty packet together. I understand that all officers that have served less than 8 years on active duty are automatically placed in the IRR (inactive ready reserve) until they reach the 8 year mark. At that time, you are given the option to resign your commision and completely separate from the military.

Is the IRR the same thing as the regular reserves or are they 2 different things? The reason I ask is that on the memorandum, it asks if I wanted to be placed on reserve duty. So if I say yes, will my status be different then IRR? I know there is no way of getting out of IRR duty, but I just want to make sure I'm not placed into some active reserve duty status instead of IRR. That would supremely suck. My S1 has the strange ability of telling me the bare essential truth and leaving it up to me to find out all the details. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

GMO2003 said:
I'm currently finiship up my last year of my ADSO with my GMO time and moving onto a civlian residency.

I'm in the process of getting my release from active duty packet together. I understand that all officers that have served less than 8 years on active duty are automatically placed in the IRR (inactive ready reserve) until they reach the 8 year mark. At that time, you are given the option to resign your commision and completely separate from the military.

Is the IRR the same thing as the regular reserves or are they 2 different things? The reason I ask is that on the memorandum, it asks if I wanted to be placed on reserve duty. So if I say yes, will my status be different then IRR? I know there is no way of getting out of IRR duty, but I just want to make sure I'm not placed into some active reserve duty status instead of IRR. That would supremely suck. My S1 has the strange ability of telling me the bare essential truth and leaving it up to me to find out all the details. :laugh:

Your post makes me think you are late in the game, when do you actually EAS? Your RAD request is supposed to be in within 12-9 months by my understanding.

The IRR is not the same as the Active drilling reserve componet. It basically means your name is on a list that someone maintains. There hasnt been a physician in our shoes called up in any recent history. The question on the memorandumm is if you want to be attached to a drilling unit. Your answer needs to be NO. Even if you checked yes you would still be IRR but you would drill with other reservists. That is not mandatory for the IRR.

Your RAD approval will come back in about via message traffic in about 2 months. Then you will need to get them to write your orders with financial data so that you can get the movers and all that good stuff.

When you get to year 7(of the combo Active and IRR time). You will submit your request to resign your commission to the same people you submitted your RAD to. Not sure about the Routing of that letter.

There were some more posts about this about 6 months back. Try expanding the search b/c they were really informative.

GMO2003 said:

Congratulations and good luck.

If you do nothing, you go to IRR until your 8 year reserve commitment is fulfilled.

If you elect assignment to a reserve unit, you are ready reserve, assigned to a drilling unit. They probably have an option one of the academic medical units that have you meet twice a year for a PRT and inspection, otherwide you could get drill credit for residency-based conferences, grand rounds attendance, etc., the two week ACDUTRA is also done at your residency location. It was an OK deal when I did that, a little extra money every month, but I don't know what your risk of being yanked for callup would be now with the present manning issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
usnavdoc said:
Your post makes me think you are late in the game, when do you actually EAS? Your RAD request is supposed to be in within 12-9 months by my understanding.

The IRR is not the same as the Active drilling reserve componet. It basically means your name is on a list that someone maintains. There hasnt been a physician in our shoes called up in any recent history. The question on the memorandumm is if you want to be attached to a drilling unit. Your answer needs to be NO. Even if you checked yes you would still be IRR but you would drill with other reservists. That is not mandatory for the IRR.

Your RAD approval will come back in about via message traffic in about 2 months. Then you will need to get them to write your orders with financial data so that you can get the movers and all that good stuff.

When you get to year 7(of the combo Active and IRR time). You will submit your request to resign your commission to the same people you submitted your RAD to. Not sure about the Routing of that letter.

There were some more posts about this about 6 months back. Try expanding the search b/c they were really informative.

I am not late....I am right on the 12 month mark for my ETS or termination of my ADSO....Thank you for the clarification...it really does mean alot...It seems that the military puts in so many rules and red tape that they almost hope that you forget and leave a stone unturned...

Just like Michael Corleone said in GF III...." Just when I thought I was out...THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!! " :laugh:

Remember that at the end of your eight years, it is up to you to resign your commision. The military does not contact you to give you the option.

tec said:
Remember that at the end of your eight years, it is up to you to resign your commision. The military does not contact you to give you the option.

Believe it or not, they actually do write and ask whether you want to resign. Otherwise I would still be IRR-S2, or whatever. When you do resign, they send you a nice little certificate of honorable discharge, too, suitable for framing.

The Navy is a lot better than the Army then, which is great for you all. There was a big stink over the past few years with many of my classmates who thought that if they did not say that they wanted to stay in the IRR thought that they would automatically be discharged (At no point did the Army contact any of us to ask us if we wanted to stay in the IRR of be discharged). It was only when they were being called back up for active duty for OIF and OEF that they realized that they were still in the IRR.

I spent 4 years in the IRR (albeit as an enlisted 11Bravo) and for the last 2, when they began calling up officers AND enlisted from the IRR, I was sweating bullets every day when the mail came. I really thought I was going to get pulled out of medical school to go to Iraq. I would have went, but with a heavy, heavy heart. Man, was I glad when my honorable discharge showed up.
From what I've heard, the Army has now ceased activating soldiers from the IRR due to the massive numbers of no-shows and extraordinary ill-feelings it caused.

Echinoidea said:
From what I've heard, the Army has now ceased activating soldiers from the IRR due to the massive numbers of no-shows and extraordinary ill-feelings it caused.

Wow, people would actually not show up, isn't that evasion of duty or absence without leave...would that not be punishable under UCMJ...what happend to these no-shows? :confused:

GMO2003 said:
Wow, people would actually not show up, isn't that evasion of duty or absence without leave...would that not be punishable under UCMJ...what happend to these no-shows? :confused:

Technically, it probably is. But you would be talking about prosecuting family breadwinners who are not taking money from the government as drilling reservists and who by being in IRR have removed themselves as much as possible from the callup process. The public relations and political fallout would be very costly for the services, enough perhaps to stoke a public backlash against the military, enough to possibly abolish the IRR. The effort wouldn't be worth it to them. And it would really damage recruitment, something they know they can't afford.

At TAP class last week I asked the reserve recruiter about the IRR.

Since I was in the IRR during HPSP years and have now completed 5 yrs of AD I do not need to be in the IRR. I am done.

This seems to be contrary to what most people are saying, but it makes sense. Then again, it did come from a recruiter...

Anybody else hear of this?

GMO2003 said:
I am not late....I am right on the 12 month mark for my ETS or termination of my ADSO....Thank you for the clarification...it really does mean alot...It seems that the military puts in so many rules and red tape that they almost hope that you forget and leave a stone unturned...

Just like Michael Corleone said in GF III...." Just when I thought I was out...THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!! " :laugh:

If you are in the Navy:

Contact BUPERS...Mr. Rumpza 901-874-5952. The instruction which contains the info re resigning from the reserves is BUPERSINST 1001.39E Ch 10. It contains a sample letter you can use.

As for your med school IRR time - BUPERS counted my active duty time only - using my commisioning to LT as the date.

Good luck!

chickendoc said:
If you are in the Navy:

Contact BUPERS...Mr. Rumpza 901-874-5952. The instruction which contains the info re resigning from the reserves is BUPERSINST 1001.39E Ch 10. It contains a sample letter you can use.

As for your med school IRR time - BUPERS counted my active duty time only - using my commisioning to LT as the date.

Good luck!

They did this to me as well, and in all actuality this is what makes sense. You are incurring your AD commitment while in med school how can you be paying it back as well. Regardless, having spent 5 years on AD, 3 year IRR commitment will be finished the day I grad from residency. I will be in training the entire time.