Relatively non-malignant IM programs with good fellowships (cards)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I was interested in gas for a while, but I worked with a cardiologist (EP) and what he was doing was fascinating. It was amazing watching him do ablations. Also shadowed a non-invasive doing echos....also very nice. Obviously, the fact that cards is lucrative financially is also a factor.

I like medicine, but I am somewhat put off by the long hours and malignant nature of some programs....I would be happy to work 60-70hrs/wk. Also, I am looking for programs with supportive environments, (no back-biting residents, no bitter attgs) and in-house cards fellowships. Also, I don't really care to stay in a big city...I went to undergrad/med school in a moderately large city and am tired of it. I would be happy in a relatively rural area, just so long as the previous criteria are met.

People have suggested WVU, UMASS, MUSC as possible places. These places have been said to be laid-back, with in-house cards fellowships...and they take many of their own. Anybody have any other suggestions?

I was considering Mayo-Jax or CC-Florida, but I don't know if I have the numbers to match there.

My Stats are as follows, if that helps.

Class of 2006 at private non-top 50 US Allopathic med school (oh what the hell...GWU).
Step I 225/91. (Is that good enough?)
Mostly honors in preclinical. Have a shot at AOA if I honor like 2 or 3 of the 6 clinical courses 3rd yr....tough, but possible.
Abstract presentation in ENT, research paper in Ortho, citation in basic science paper.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out Brown, good fellowships, happy residents, in providence (not a huge city by any means). I think 60-70 hours is probably on the low end for ward months, but the elective and ambulatory time will definitely make up for it. Brown gives u alot of elective time in 2nd (4) and 3rd (3) year, and even 2 in your intern year. I think your numbers are great and you'll get alot of interviews. Oh yea, if interested in suburban ny (long island) LIJ and North Shore are pretty laid back and get people into cards, but obviously arent as strong as university places. If you don't mind city life, BID in boston, although not exactly "laid back," has friendly happy residents,night float, and good fellowships. Also, you get to be taught by harvard faculty, which is awesome.

Good luck!

ps - i also did EP research and liked it alot, the toys (especially the medtronic AICD's) are so damn cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree fully about Brown and UMass, both with very strong Cards placements and programs, and really nice, supportive faculty and residents. We were cautioned by a resident at Brown on my interview day that you will work VERY hard there as an intern (as is the case everywhere), but things get better later on. Yale's Primary Care program is a nice option as well, and in spite of the outpatient/PC focus, has many residents going into fellowships, with some nice Cards matches. Faculty are terrific there as well. If you can deal with a very rural environment, Dartmouth is a good program that offers extensive Cards training during your 3 years, and a strong fellowship program.

Also consider Mayo Rochester. It is by no means malignant. The atmosphere is very supportive, the teaching excellent and the cardiology research opportunities are deep. There are over 120 full time Cards faculty.

Of the 9 fellowship spots (in a top 5 program), 7 will be occupied by graduting IM residents from Rochester; that figure is prone to swing, but not a bad indicator.

Any other programs out there?

Remember, you can apply to like 20-25 places the initial price through FRIEDA. I don't think that's 20 places.

Another good place someone mentioned to me....uconn.

BUMP!

I've heard the carolinas program down south is laid back. (i think its in charleston....one of my friends applied there and said it was particularly chill). Also one of the Scripps programs in Cali is supposedly real light.....(again, secondhand info from someone applying out west from my school). Lenox Hill, which is NYC (which is def. not rural =) has a rep for being relatively (as compared to other nyc places) chill with a great cards dept.

Although I definitely understand your desire to look for laid back places, cards is a tough fellowship....try to interview at some of the more academic places, you may find that you'll like the atmosphere and be willing to put in the extra work in your intern year for a better fellowship. ( Intern year is gonna be painful regardless.... but alot of the more academic programs more front loaded, making residency alot more bearable). Anyway, good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

U of Pitt is another good program with a well-known cardiology division.