Relationships and family during/after vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x3anewdisaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I am still in high school, I am trying to learn all the aspects of being a veterinarian down to the last detail, because I have an inquisitive mind and I want to make sure this is what I really want to do.
Family is very important to me, so I want to know the nature of the work.

When you graduate from vet school, is it hard to start a family in your mid-late 20's because you don't want to start one too late in your life (assuming you went straight to vet school right out of undergrad)?

When you're just starting as a veterinarian, don't you pretty much get a ton of hours so it'll be difficult to keep up with a husband and baby?

Did you get married during or after vet school?

If you were married during vet school, was it hard to keep up with the relationship in the midst of intense, hardcore studying?
How about ANY relationship?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm shadowing a vet that does farm calls and brings her baby (a month old now) along with her. It's not the best laid plan, but she makes it work. I think that, given some planning, some patience, and some support, a vet can have a family when s/he wants. $0.02! :)

I have a friend that got married after his first year in veterinary school. He studies very hard, and their relationship has been fine. Also, I have maintained a steady, healthy, and serious relationship with a girlfriend over the past 3 years of vet school, and will be getting married this summer. We try to always eat dinner together and see each other whenever we have time, but if I need to study she understands. However, I have heard of relationships been strained and even ended due to the time and stress that vet school can cause. I think if you have a strong relationship and both people know what to expect it is very possible with the right person.

Members don't see this ad :)
IHowever, I have heard of relationships been strained and even ended due to the time and stress that vet school can cause. I think if you have a strong relationship and both people know what to expect it is very possible with the right person.

I enjoy hearing how jop21 maintains his relationship. I often think that a lot of the relationships that end would have even without vet school. I know in the past 2 years the stress in our lives would have split alot of couples up. Unfortunatly, especially in challenging economic and employment markets, stress divides a lot of couples.

As for me, I am married when entering vet school. Currently, we are planning to live apart due to his career, but that might change. I honestly don't think the stress of vet school will be harder on us than the stress of working on the N. Atlantic fishing fleet, which was my career when we married. I would conduct research for NOAA by going on 3-4 wk fishing trips in some of the worst conditions possible. We generally had 0 contact during those trips, and sometimes when I came back to land, it was over 12 hours away, so I wouldn't see him then, either. We both focused on taking care of ourselves and our careers, which is probably what we will do this time. Even if I am studying all the time, my husband knows that I am safe, not struggling with heavy equipment in a NorEaster hundreds of miles from shore with a crew of men who are hopped up on a variety of substances while working 20 hour shifts. He thinks this will be a lot less stress on him, and honestly, if it doesn't kill me, it is all good.

As for other relationships, I haven't lived within 6 hours of my family for over a decade, so we are limited to holiday visits and phone calls. My grandparents work still, my parents run a farm and work. Everyone is pretty busy with their own lives. we are there for each other when needed, but there aren't a lot of people demanding time from me. I imagine it would be a lot harder with children, but I don't have that situation yet, so not sure how I would handle it.

Vet school will be very demanding. You will be in class from 8-5 then go home and study for another 2-8 depending if you have a test the next day. I came to vet school married and had a beautiful daughter this past year (2nd year of school). My wife was on strict bed rest for 5 months. We made it work, but she was my priority. Needless to say my grades were a little less the mediocre (good for me, below average by some vet school standards), but they got me to the next year and they will get me a good job. Basically it comes down to what do you want. You will need something to keep you refreshed and sane while in vet school. My family does it for me. If you go all school and no play, you will have an emotional breakdown and it will be reflected in your school work. Always remember to enjoy it all. I can’t wait to see what cynical student comes to bash this.