rejection letter from temple.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PodDPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have any chances for pod school this year? My cGPA 3.10 and sGPA 2.73 and BCP 2.50. I have low MCAT score but retaking it in Jan. I have strong ECs.
I have applied to all the podiatry school. I am very depressed to received my first rejection letter this morning today from Temple University for not sending me an interview.
Do I still have hope for this year or should I just give up?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe Ohio...you should probably think long and hard about whether any graduate course with such rigorous curriculum is really for you. There are individuals with those numbers who get into podiatry programs and graduate but as PADPM would say those individuals are the EXCEPTION and not the rule.

Realistically, if Temple rejected you then most other programs I'm sure will follow suit. If you do get in don't go in thinking because you're in that you are going to graduate and get a residency...

I think you should apply to NYCPM, OCPM, Barry, and CSPM. I feel they would offer you the best shot to get accepted. Not saying it will happen but it is at least worth a shot. If you score higher then the avg of matriculated pre-podiatry students on the MCAT (21) then this will def increase your chances of achieving an acceptance. So give the MCAT everything you got!

If you are not accepted to any school then don't simply give up. There are plenty of post-bacc programs (1 or 2 year) that you can get accepted to that will help increase your academic credentials and help you become a stronger student overall. Taking graduate level science courses will teach you how to study so that you will be better able to handle a medical school curriculum. If you do well in a program like that then you will most likely guarantee yourself an acceptance into some Podiatry programs the next time you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont give up. talk to schools that have rejected you and try and get some feedback on what can make you a better candidate. Then, improve. Give it everything you have. If you don't get in after that, hopefully you can go on knowing that you tried.

Maybe Ohio...you should probably think long and hard about whether any graduate course with such rigorous curriculum is really for you. There are individuals with those numbers who get into podiatry programs and graduate but as PADPM would say those individuals are the EXCEPTION and not the rule.

Realistically, if Temple rejected you then most other programs I'm sure will follow suit. If you do get in don't go in thinking because you're in that you are going to graduate and get a residency...

I got rejection letters from NYCPM and Temple today as well..It is definitely disheartening but regardless of whether this guy got into every school he applied to that doesn't mean he has any ability to project your academic success solely based on your past. Resiliency is the key to life and as cheesy as it sounds you decide what you're going to do with your future. Keep at it. I have friends who had to re-apply to dental school 3 times over. If podiatry is what you have a passion for you'll eventually succeed.

It is definitely disheartening but regardless of whether this guy got into every school he applied to that doesn't mean he has any ability to project your academic success solely based on your past.

OP asked about his/her chances...what else should I have used to give him/her an honest answer? I tried getting the DeLorean but that bastard Michael J. Fox took it back in time to find a cure...

Maybe Ohio...you should probably think long and hard about whether any graduate course with such rigorous curriculum is really for you...

... If you do get in don't go in thinking because you're in that you are going to graduate and get a residency...
Good advice... you can probably get into NY or Ohio, but getting in (or even graduating) definitely doesn't equal success. You have to consider whether you have the talent and work ethic to do well in a tough grad program before you make a big financial and time investment.

Good advice... you can probably get into NY or Ohio, but getting in (or even graduating) definitely doesn't equal success. You have to consider whether you have the talent and work ethic to do well in a tough grad program before you make a big financial and time investment.

It wasn't long ago (2 years, maybe) TUSPM was letting people in with 3.0 GPA and 18 MCAT. They took the student's money, and the students failed out. While I'm certainly sorry you didn't get in this time around, I'm glad administration is finally taking responsibility for these students (not you OP, in particular) rather than watching them fail out. Look at the bright side; Temple might be doing you a favor. It's no easy task making it once you're in, as the other posters mentioned. If you're not confident in your ability, don't go in just because you get accepted. Prove to yourself that you belong in graduate school.

I think you should apply to NYCPM, OCPM, Barry, and CSPM. I feel they would offer you the best shot to get accepted. Not saying it will happen but it is at least worth a shot. If you score higher then the avg of matriculated pre-podiatry students on the MCAT (21) then this will def increase your chances of achieving an acceptance. So give the MCAT everything you got!

If you are not accepted to any school then don't simply give up. There are plenty of post-bacc programs (1 or 2 year) that you can get accepted to that will help increase your academic credentials and help you become a stronger student overall. Taking graduate level science courses will teach you how to study so that you will be better able to handle a medical school curriculum. If you do well in a program like that then you will most likely guarantee yourself an acceptance into some Podiatry programs the next time you apply.

Dont forget Western! I heard someone got in with a 16 Mcat.

Don't think NYCPM is a cakewalk to get into. The administrators over there are painfully aware of our reputation and are making huge strides to change that. I am not sure what our avg MCAT/DAT scores were but I do know that last year is supposed to be the last year to accept DAT and that c/o 2013 has 92 students vs. 2012 starting with >110. This difference is due to higher requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
What?

He said that he heard of a student who got in with a 16, that has nothing to do with the school MCAT avg being a 22.

I was merely pointing out the fact that the schools MCAT scores are right in line with, or slightly higher than, the average for pod schools. Therefore, an extremely low MCAT score is not very likely.

She/he posted on SDN awhile back. Do a search.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply search for the keywords "16 AND western" on SDN.

There is a reason why there are only 38 students in our charter class. The faculty would not lower their entrance requirements just to meet the quota of 50 they had planned.

As I said, I highly doubt someone was admitted to WesternU with a 16 MCAT. IF that was the case, they would have had to had a near perfect GPA. Which is not the case for the OP, so zmeflyby please do not include WesternU as a possibility for him/her -he/she would get the same result that he/she got from Temple.

My GPA mainly went down in junior yr. I was averaging around 3.3 in freshman and around 3.0 in sophmore yr. Now I am senior and doing better in 400 level classes.
I admit I have low Mcat score but I am retaking it in Jan. I really want to get in this year. My only Hope is Mcat.
My question is school won't take the fact that I am retaking it. If I do better in second time around. Would they able to open my file again?

My GPA mainly went down in junior yr. I was averaging around 3.3 in freshman and around 3.0 in sophmore yr. Now I am senior and doing better in 400 level classes.
I admit I have low Mcat score but I am retaking it in Jan. I really want to get in this year. My only Hope is Mcat.
My question is school won't take the fact that I am retaking it. If I do better in second time around. Would they able to open my file again?

Since you are still a senior and you bombed Junior year you may have a better shot at getting in after you graduate... They see on your app a downward trend in gpa. If you can show them that you can handle your 4th year with an upward trend you have a better shot... but then again you will be applying later in the year.

And to answer your question, yes I think some schools will reopen your file(at least scholl will, its on the other official school thread)

Don't think NYCPM is a cakewalk to get into. The administrators over there are painfully aware of our reputation and are making huge strides to change that. I am not sure what our avg MCAT/DAT scores were but I do know that last year is supposed to be the last year to accept DAT and that c/o 2013 has 92 students vs. 2012 starting with >110. This difference is due to higher requirements.

This is purely speculation on my point but... wasn't NYCPM still accepting students right up until classes started? Is it possible that they just didnt fill their class? Im just relying on hearsay/SDN which is really for the most part nothing but assumptions anyways.

I was merely pointing out the fact that the schools MCAT scores are right in line with, or slightly higher than, the average for pod schools. Therefore, an extremely low MCAT score is not very likely.

You weren't merely pointing out a fact, you also called his statement a "falsehood" and used unrelated information to support your assertion.

Speaking of the 22 average, all it takes is one matriculating students with a 28 and that 16 factors right in to the 22 average.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply search for the keywords "16 AND western" on SDN.

There is a reason why there are only 38 students in our charter class. The faculty would not lower their entrance requirements just to meet the quota of 50 they had planned.

As I said, I highly doubt someone was admitted to WesternU with a 16 MCAT. IF that was the case, they would have had to had a near perfect GPA. Which is not the case for the OP, so zmeflyby please do not include WesternU as a possibility for him/her -he/she would get the same result that he/she got from Temple.

:laugh:

dyk, NYCPM did accept students late last year. This freshman class is supposed to be stronger statistically than previous ones. The restrictions have definitely been tightened. I would say the low number could be a mix of less applicants and having tighter restrictions. </speculation>

Yeah I maybe overstated my point. My bad. There are reliable sources of info on here, yet then again there are some posts that are just wrong.

I was actually agreeing with you. :) There are some very invaluable posts and I have learned a lot from SDN. Most of it in ALL the forums is pre-blah telling pre-blah his chances at X professional school, that he's never even heard of.

Have you considered allopathic medical school as a backup???

I probably have to go for post bac for allopathic schools with these stats.
I would rather stick with my first choice and re-apply. Thanks for the advise tho.