Rejected from Stony Brook post-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramaqueen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had my interview 2 months ago
and still no word

i know it depends on when your interviewer hands in your stuff
but i'm just wondering
maybe they send out acceptances before they send out rejections

and maybe mine is a rejection
but will be sent out later

so wondering
if anyone who has interviewed already got rejections from them

Members don't see this ad.

stony brook hasn't started sending out rejections yet

remember they rank applicants and the list is always moving so u might be accepted later on, if u move up on the rankings

when do you think they'll start rejecting?

this waiting is killing me

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rCubed
stony brook hasn't started sending out rejections yet

remember they rank applicants and the list is always moving so u might be accepted later on, if u move up on the rankings

I got a juicy pre-interview rejection from stony brook at the end of november. I am a Long Island resident, I've worked at Stony Brook since I was in high school, and I had 2 letters of recommendations from Stony Brook faculty (one of which is very well respected in the world of neurology). I am co-author on a few SB publications as well. Needless to say, I am very annoyed about this rejection, and I plan to write them a rather lengthy letter expressing my negative feelings I now have towards this institution. They could have at least given me an interview.

Originally posted by ForensicPath
I got a juicy pre-interview rejection from stony brook at the end of november. I am a Long Island resident, I've worked at Stony Brook since I was in high school, and I had 2 letters of recommendations from Stony Brook faculty (one of which is very well respected in the world of neurology). I am co-author on a few SB publications as well. Needless to say, I am very annoyed about this rejection, and I plan to write them a rather lengthy letter expressing my negative feelings I now have towards this institution. They could have at least given me an interview.

FP, sorry to hear that. go ahead and write, cuz i think they don't look at the apps too carefully so maybe they missed something about urs. writing to them won't hurt

anyway, clarifying what i'd written before, i don't think they've sent out any post-interview rejections yet

Originally posted by Chrisobean
i was a Stony Brook undergrad, and have been told by many many people (like the pre-med advisors) that stony brook is very biased AGAINST people who went to school there (or worked in your case) being accepted into their medical school.
their "commitment to diversity" is their way of rejecting alumni and ny residents...
i have recs from dr's there, and some prof's who are known to be some of the hardest teachers at the school, writing about my glorious A's in their classes and basically kissing my a**.. apparently it does not help. i dont think my app is THAT bad...

sorry to hear that.. and im sure my rejection isnt far behind :(

i've attended talks by the dean of admissions and he always says stony brook students are given a preference. the most med students there are from stony brook, and i got in there too
anyway, it sounds like u have a good application...they're slow, just keep waiting

by the way, the hardest class/teacher...u talking about cell bio? just wondering

weird, but who knows, i hope you are right.
montren himself told me flat out i had no chance there, so did that other lady advisor when she worked there... i mean i screwed up a little in my intro classes but did so well in the upper divisions and have a ton of quality recs and ECs, decent gpa/mcat and work at sloan kettering...
so maybe the advisors just hate me (and maybe they sense the feeling is mutual??)

and YES i am talking about cell bio, lyman loves me... and im sure studying 2 weeks for his exams will prepare me for med school!

well, montren never told me much about the stony brook med school, but maybe that was a while ago? cuz i know in the last few years the number of stony brook undergrads going across the street to the med school has really increased

yeah, cell bio was tough huh? well, since he's on the adcom, maybe it'll help. i had a letter from him too but when i talked to him about my application to stony brook, he didn't know too much about it. i think the adcom there is pretty large and not totally organized

lyman is on the adcom? i thought he was part of the pre-med committee, who writes our composite letter... i got a letter from the mvl teacher Kerth, who i know is on the pre-med committee..

do you know who else is on that dam committee??

nope, all i know is prof lyman. cuz he was telling me about it and i met a girl that was interviewed by him
he's also on the pre-med committee