Rehab Aide Job....Need advice PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtk299

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I came across this forum and really need help from fellow pts. I am working at a physical therapy clinic and it is just the therapist and I . He is very mean to me. He's told me that I don't listen when people talk to me, that my voice sounds like I am talking to pediatric patients , I take care of all the paperwork and work with all the patients. He tells me not to say sorry if I forget something and kinda gives me a threatening look when I do as a parent would. He's rude to patients doesn't care what they say etc. I took the job two weeks ago and I am so miserable. I love the patients but he's so rude. I observed him for a bit before I worked here and he wrote my letter for grad school. I am in a huge bind. Ive wanted an aide position for so long but not like this if it means someone can put me down everyday.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I came across this forum and really need help from fellow pts. I am working at a physical therapy clinic and it is just the therapist and I . He is very mean to me. He's told me that I don't listen when people talk to me, that my voice sounds like I am talking to pediatric patients , I take care of all the paperwork and work with all the patients. He tells me not to say sorry if I forget something and kinda gives me a threatening look when I do as a parent would. He's rude to patients doesn't care what they say etc. I took the job two weeks ago and I am so miserable. I love the patients but he's so rude. I observed him for a bit before I worked here and he wrote my letter for grad school. I am in a huge bind. Ive wanted an aide position for so long but not like this if it means someone can put me down everyday.

Well if I were you, I'd look for another job if it's not fun or rewarding anymore. In a way you need to realize that people are the way they are, you're not going to like and get along with everyone. I don't think that the doctor is being constructive and you shouldn't feel scared or attacked. As a PT I think there is a responsibility to teach others, so he doesn't sound like a good role model. I get that you've wanted a job, but if it's stressful and not teaching you anything, look for a different aide position.

I agree with the above poster. I recently was "hired" to work as a pt aide but then they were like "oh maybe, not sure if we will need you anymore" and then "ya, maybe a few hours here or there." It was ridiculous and even though it was the perfect job for me (pediatric pt office, close to where I live, good pay, etc) I realized I just have to tell them no and that I am looking for another job. They don't have the right to treat me like that and not give me definitive answers and think I'll just sick around and wait for them to call me. We deserve to be happy where you work and get treated well. You have to remember that something else will come along that will be better for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with what was said above. I took a job as an aide a couple months ago and was excited. The PT there seemed nice but as time went on she became mean. Not an environment for leaning. The facility manager was awesome but wasn't there as often. After working with a patient, the PT said she would email me about my availability. So much for professionalism. Never got an email and safe to say glad that I'm no longer working there

dpk299: I hate to hear that your experience in this clinic is less than inspiring. Unfortunately, there are some crummy representatives in every profession. But you can still learn from them (even while looking for a new job, if you so choose).

At the minimum, are you able to observe the process of evaluating, creating a plan of care, setting STG and LTG, reassessments, etc?

I encourage you to challenge yourself to grow in professionalism and maturity. Try to find a time, away from patients (lunch time perhaps), where you and this PT can sit down and address these issues. Have a mini evaluation because you are still new and you want to excel in this field...
What do you see as your strengths and weaknesses?
What areas would you like to grow and develop during your time there and how can the PT help you to grow and learn?
How you can best aid the PT in the daily operations of the clinic?
Inquire where he thinks you can improve:
Address his concerns... Dr_____, you have mentioned that I don't seem to listen to the patients. I wasn't aware I gave off that impression. Can you please give me an example and a way to improve this skill? You have mentioned that I speak to my patients as if they are children. I wasn't aware I gave off this impression. How can I make my interactions with patients more genuine, professional, (pick an adjective).... Etc.

I wouldn't mention that you think the PT is a grump. ;) But perhaps taking the initiative to begin a calm, open dialogue will change the atmosphere of the clinic and your experience there. If nothing else, you will have taken a step to grow in your maturity and professionalism. Give yourself the opportunity to manage the situation.

Best of Luck! :luck:
Peace and God bless

I also agree with the above. I wanted to add a little something though. Please be careful of what you are doing under his supervision. You said that you are "taking care of the paperwork and patients". Be aware of the practice laws in your state and know what you are legally allowed to do under his supervision. If you are doing any kind of evaluation or documentation at all, that can be illegal in your state. I've seen other aides/ptas get screwed when the board investigators knock down the pt's door and nail him/her for unlawful practice. Just be cautious :)

I am just worried about the fact that he wrote me a rec letter for my schools...so I at least want to stick it out for a bit. I don't want the schools that I am applying to, to think that I am unprofessional for switching jobs either :/

I am just worried about the fact that he wrote me a rec letter for my schools...so I at least want to stick it out for a bit. I don't want the schools that I am applying to, to think that I am unprofessional for switching jobs either :/

i have a question- you said you started the job two weeks ago, right? Did you know this pt beforehand? Or did you really ask for a lor from a pt you've known for 2 weeks? I don't mean that to be snarky, but if you guys don't have the best relationship, I would be worried about the quality of the lor that he gave. Also, switching jobs isn't unprofessional. Not every job is a fit for everyone. I think it would be more unprofessional to be at a job and act miserable around patients because you hate the work environment so much.

oops, just saw that you observed a little beforehand. pt skool makz readen comprehenshun hard :D

Oh no I observed him a few times and was hired in April but started in august. When I observed it was in May. I asked him for an LOR at the time because he taught me a lot and was nice. He submitted them already.

Oh no I observed him a few times and was hired in April but started in august. When I observed it was in May. I asked him for an LOR at the time because he taught me a lot and was nice. He submitted them already.

If he already submitted I would get out of there it it's making you miserable. Schools aren't going to deny you because you worked at a job and then quit.

Ive worked there for about three weeks now. I am applying to other jobs now and hope to find one that I enjoy. I signed a form when I first got hired that I would give them at least two weeks notice if I were to leave. I was wondering what a professional way to leave would be? I am so nervous to leave and feel bad but I am really trying to think of my happiness. You're posts have been wonderful and I am so grateful that I can relate to people.