Regrets and Doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjmax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes dental school can be so difficult. When comparing myself to others in my class, I feel so far behind in terms of my hand skills and confidence. I am struggling and wonder if anyone else also had similar regrets or doubts about whether or not they made the right decision? Any suggestions or advice as to how to build confidence? I feel like I'm in too deep to quit now.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes dental school can be so difficult. When comparing myself to others in my class, I feel so far behind in terms of my hand skills and confidence. I am struggling and wonder if anyone else also had similar regrets or doubts about whether or not they made the right decision? Any suggestions or advice as to how to build confidence? I feel like I'm in too deep to quit now.

What year are you? Private or public school?

Members don't see this ad :)

First of all, please don't quit.

I hated, I mean absolutely abhorred my 1st semester of dental school. Within weeks of starting I wondered if I had made an intelligent decision about a career path. And once pre-clin started... wow, I felt I was constantly behind the eight ball. My preps looked atrocious. But hey, all is not lost...

I started spending dedicated solo time in the preclin lab, anatomy lab, etc focusing on my own strengths and weaknesses. Friday nights at 10pm, Sundays evenings, early Saturday morning. It didn't matter. If I was lacking in something I picked up the pace. It was alot easier to accomplish a goal once I started paying attention to my own progress instead of comparing myself to my peers. If frustration set it, I'd drop what I was doing immediately, burn the nervous energy at the gym, take a cool shower and picked up where I left off. Putting my blinders on got me through the end of my 2nd year (the most difficult period of D school... labs, start of clinic, studying for boards), my intern year of OS, general surgery years and my chief year of residency.

As you progress through dental school, you will find your niche, and in turn will steadily develop more confidence in your abilities and a newfound focus. The first few years of Dental School you are trying to swallow a tidal wave of info while developing your fine motor coordination. A tall task than not many people outside of the dental arena can relate to... but trust me. Things fall into place and you will find more rewards as you approach the end of your fourth year.

OMG! I think just about everyone felt this way some time or another in dental school. Please don't give up. I was so disgusted my first semester in dental school and literally applied to medical school to run from how I felt. I ended up staying and I'm so glad I did. Sometimes it's good to share with others. One thing I found out was that I was just where I needed to be. In life, there's always going to be someone better. Compete with yourself and only you. A lot of times, I felt behind and later found out that people who I thought were ahead of me weren't and so sad to say, but some were even cheating. I had to learn to take my eyes off my classmates and do what I needed to do to pass and get finished. Today, I can say I am doing very well in dentistry, thank God, and I am so glad I never quit. Sometimes dental school had a way of making people feel overwhelmed and like they were never good enough. Pace yourself, take everything one day at a time, find someone you trust and just share how you feel and you'd be surprised at how many people feel the same way. Today, I work at a major hospital in NY and teach 4 residents. My goal is to one day teach FT because I have such a passion for teaching and I enjoy giving back and imparting knowlege, etc. to students. Hang in there. You're probably doing better than you think, so take a few deep breaths and keep moving forward. You're almost there.

Localnative and Newgoalsdentdoc, thank you so much for your encouraging words! I truly appreciate it. I definitely feel like comparing myself to others has always been my biggest mistake. But it's hard NOT to do so sometimes. I will take your guys' advice and just take it one day at a time. I really gotta try putting those blinders on and just focus on myself and my abilities and progress.

Newgoalsdentdoc, I also want to teach one day in hopes that I can help those like me. I feel like dentistry comes naturally to some and very, very gradually to others. I want to teach and support the underdogs and help build their confidence and esteem.

Thanks again guys for your advice.

hello tjmax I share the same problem you do and Im still trying to find myself in the dentistry field but what you could do is seeing dental school as long journey to build and reinforce your confidence.
You may not have lot of confidence right now but working so hard on achieving your goals will make you a confident person in the end.

Try to find someone you trust and talk, it helps a lot.

OP: SRS

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ijCSu87I9k[/YOUTUBE]

Empty your mind and be water my friend.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Some days are better than others. Just hope it all works out in the end.