Registered Respiratory Therapist to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sighingoutloud

Reaction score
Hello, I am a RRT and I am wondering if anyone has made the move from RRT to later become a MD? Is it possible? How did you do it? Does having experience as a RRT help with getting in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am 25, 3.5 GPA with a BS in Ex. Physiology (waste of time) and a Associates of Respiratory Care. I have about 2 years of experience as a registered RT.

Members don't see this ad.

Your RT experience is a plus for sure. I think all you really need is to make sure you have the required prerequisite courses for the schools you are interested in, taking the MCAT, and likely shadowing a physician to get an idea of what the job is like.

Additionally, check out the stickied posts on the top of the pre-med forum for loads of additional info/tips. I used SDN a lot for advice during my application process. There's tons of people here who are happy to answer any questions

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I am a RRT and I am wondering if anyone has made the move from RRT to later become a MD? Is it possible? How did you do it? Does having experience as a RRT help with getting in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am 25, 3.5 GPA with a BS in Ex. Physiology (waste of time) and a Associates of Respiratory Care. I have about 2 years of experience as a registered RT.

I'm a career changer (nonclinical background) and I'm applying to MD programs this cycle. Your clinical experience as an RT will be seen positively when it comes time for you to apply.

Like all other premeds, you'll need to make sure your prerequisite coursework is complete and get a good MCAT score (shoot for at least 510 for MD - you may want to target higher if you're in a competitive state like California). If you're considering a switch to medicine, start shadowing a primary care physician (pediatrics/IM/FM) ASAP - you can shadow in other specialties later on. Physician shadowing (40+ hours) is basically a requirement for medical school. It will help you get a feel for the field and if it's right for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I'm happy to help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve met ONE RRT to MD. It’s definitely a help, especially with the pull stuff!

If you don’t have your prerequisites done, knock them out and see if a hospital or other employer will pay for them. Get as many A’s as you can, do well on the MCAT, and you’ll do great!

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve met ONE RRT to MD. It’s definitely a help, especially with the pull stuff!

If you don’t have your prerequisites done, knock them out and see if a hospital or other employer will pay for them. Get as many A’s as you can, do well on the MCAT, and you’ll do great!

I may have to retake 2 courses due to the 5 year limit but I feel determined to take this journey! I work for the CC main campus, I am not sure if they have any program where they will pay for it. Something to definitely look into. We are pretty short-staffed when it comes to RTs to begin with.

I'm not an RT but I am an RN and feel that it has been a positive along the interview trail. I think if it's what you want to do, you should 100% go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not an RT but I am an RN and feel that it has been a positive along the interview trail. I think if it's what you want to do, you should 100% go for it.

Thanks so much and best of luck to you! What do you discuss/bring up in your interviews regarding your time as a RN?

Thanks so much and best of luck to you! What do you discuss/bring up in your interviews regarding your time as a RN?
Mostly patient care experiences and how your experiences as an RT have shaped your desire for medicine. I just talk about patient advocacy, patient safety, etc and they seem to like those responses.

Not my own personal experience, but I was merely 2 weeks away from joining the RRT program put out through the military for those already on Active Duty (Held at Fort Sam Houston, TX). The re-up for being an RRT was an impressive signing bonus for many people ( think anywhere from 20k - 40k). The main reason the sign on was impressive + your next duty station choice (think Hawaii or Italy for many people and their family) was because many people who worked as Respiratory Therapists opted out of the reenlistment and either switched over to the PA program put out through the military (very competitive but great benefits to me) or they opted to go to Med School.

Some of my close friends did this route from being a Registered Respiratory Therapist. The patient exposure is nothing but a plus. Many are now in medical school so if your wondering if the transition worked in their favor, needless to say: It has.