Regis University - Religious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianstorm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regis says it roots itself in the Jesuit tradition. I'm not entirely sure what that means except that it may be very religious. This has been hinted by the fact that one of the prereqs are a Religious Studies class. My question is if someone like me, a flaming liberal, Planned Parenthood supporter/volunteer should have any problems applying there. I don't know if they take kindly to my type or if that Jesuit tradition slogan is just for street cred.

Members don't see this ad.

Regis says it roots itself in the Jesuit tradition. I'm not entirely sure what that means except that it may be very religious. This has been hinted by the fact that one of the prereqs are a Religious Studies class. My question is if someone like me, a flaming liberal, Planned Parenthood supporter/volunteer should have any problems applying there. I don't know if they take kindly to my type or if that Jesuit tradition slogan is just for street cred.

When I interviewed there, I was leery about the religious thing too. However, I only noted slight religious undertones about the school. They explained the Jesuit tradition and that they are based on teaching people to serve others in the community. There are other big name schools that are Jesuit schools such as Boston College, Loyola, and Georgetown just to name a few. There is a church on campus, but you do not have to attend. I did not see any religious courses in the PharmD curricula, only in the pre-req's. The school is very different from other schools that have religious backgrounds. Regis even has a "pub" on campus that serves beer that is available to students. You can only get two beers a day there, but it was quite shocking to me that they even served alcohol there.

You should read the school's website and interview there to see if it would be the right place for you. I was quite surprised on how much I really liked the school. I will be sending in my deposit in the next few days for the Class of 2015. Good luck!

They're Catholic; it's not like dealing with Southern Baptists! Totally different. I think you'll find Jesuits to have a strong focus on service to the underserved, and some focus on religion, but they also will allow you to hold your own views and encourage you to examine those views and why you hold them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I really want to go to but I don't want to lie to get there so it's nice to know that Regis is still an option.

Thanks! I really want to go to but I don't want to lie to get there so it's nice to know that Regis is still an option.
I wouldn't let religion hold you back. I spent 4 years at Catholic school without being religious. There is very little I regret about my education.

Jesuit institutions typically have very strong academic traditions and are not "crazy Jesus freak" places that pop culture makes you think of right off the bat.

Compare this to unaccredited religious institutions predominantly located in the south, which more align with the stereotype and often give you worthless credits that don't transfer anywhere. Two completely different things.

Jesuit institutions have faith woven into the fabric of the university whereas other schools wrap it around your head and it becomes the focus regardless of what topic you study.

You'll see the phrase "in the Jesuit tradition" a lot (at least I have). Other well known schools (in addition to those noted above) include Creighton Univ., Gonazaga, Loyola Marymount (LMU), Xavier, and University of San Francisco (not to be confused with UCSF, a public school).