Refractive surgery fellowship with Emil Chynn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xlinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone enlighten me about this fellowship advertised in sfmatch. I would like to apply for a cornea fellowship for 2013 but would like some refractive surgery experience as well. Not sure what fellows get out of this job. Do they actually get to do anything? The practice website is a little scary, I must admit. He seems strange. Still, I would like to give it a try if I am to gain anything.

I am an IMG and do not know much about the region and the people. So, any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be wary of any private practice fellowship. Definitely ask for contact information from his previous fellows so that you can find out the good/bad of his fellowship.

Many private practice fellowships have one goal in mind: cheap labor and to cover call

I am not saying that all private practice fellowships are out there to take advantage of you. But I would say they are of less quality on average compared to academic-based ones. And I am sure there will be a stiff non-compete clause in your fellowship contract.

Last edited:
If it looks fishy, it probably is. I would stay away if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the links ! Even worse than I thought.

I wish there was a fellows perspective somewhere. He is outright weird. But does one actually learn anything from him? If nobody knows anybody who has worked with him, he is probably not worth working with.

Anyway, what scared me was his demand that all fellows allow their CV to be posted on his website. Not worth it.

Those Gawker articles are enough. If he isn't disreputable right now, he's trying. Although if you are female and available for walks, there might be a housing arrangement.

If anybody does ever do his fellowship I hope they write a book about their experiences. It would have to be better than fiction!

Could anyone enlighten me about this fellowship advertised in sfmatch. I would like to apply for a cornea fellowship for 2013 but would like some refractive surgery experience as well. Not sure what fellows get out of this job. Do they actually get to do anything? The practice website is a little scary, I must admit. He seems strange. Still, I would like to give it a try if I am to gain anything.

I am an IMG and do not know much about the region and the people. So, any advice is appreciated.

Look at his fellowship page. It looks like the fellows do all the pre-op screens and post-op work while he performs the procedures.

Look at his fellowship page. It looks like the fellows do all the pre-op screens and post-op work while he performs the procedures.

I love his description of optometrists on that page too. How very flattering! lol

"Do the Refractive Fellows perform surgery on any patients?
Dr. Chynn is the only surgeon who performs surgery on patients at our center. In rare circumstances, the fellows may assist with surgery on certain non-paid patients so they gain more experience (i.e. Dr. Chynn will let them assist him when performing surgery on their own relatives, which we do at cost)."

at least he's honest in telling you that you can only do surgery on your own family. what wonderful experience.

"Do the Refractive Fellows perform surgery on any patients?
Dr. Chynn is the only surgeon who performs surgery on patients at our center. In rare circumstances, the fellows may assist with surgery on certain non-paid patients so they gain more experience (i.e. Dr. Chynn will let them assist him when performing surgery on their own relatives, which we do at cost)."

at least he's honest in telling you that you can only do surgery on your own family. what wonderful experience.

What a nit-wit. :uhno:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about this, but don't you have to train in ophthalmology to do a fellowship? It seems as if one of his refractive fellows trained as a GP and pediatrician. :wtf:
I find his website hilarious - what's up with the model/ferrari/dog? lol

Well I suppose if the fellow does not do any actual surgery then what difference does it make if the fellow even has any degree at all? They're essentially a scut-monkey/technician, who, because they have a medical degree, is still liable for malpractice.

This crap is one of the reasons that I wish ophtho fellowships had to have ACGME accreditation, like internal medicine fellowships. The second reason is so that fellowships could get government funding and the fellow could be paid at least as much as residents.

Well I suppose if the fellow does not do any actual surgery then what difference does it make if the fellow even has any degree at all? They're essentially a scut-monkey/technician, who, because they have a medical degree, is still liable for malpractice.

This crap is one of the reasons that I wish ophtho fellowships had to have ACGME accreditation, like internal medicine fellowships. The second reason is so that fellowships could get government funding and the fellow could be paid at least as much as residents.

Oh I see, I thought there was regulation/accreditation for fellowships.

I don't know much about this, but don't you have to train in ophthalmology to do a fellowship? It seems as if one of his refractive fellows trained as a GP and pediatrician. :wtf:
I find his website hilarious - what's up with the model/ferrari/dog? lol

Low Li.

Is there no minimum standard for fellowships? I thought there had to be some sort of accreditation before advertising the job on the sfmatch website as a fellowship.

Who decides a job is a 'fellowship?' Or is there nothing in the name?

"Was one of the first doctors and the first eye trauma surgeon physically present at WTC Ground Zero on 9/11/01. Established the first triage center at Ground Zero, and was interviewed on national TV by the major networks."

Well, at least he's not an opportunist!

I joined the Refractive Fellowship at Park Avenue LASEK after researching on the SF Match website and I am glad I did. I was lucky enough to get a position out of the match. It has been a quite a journey since and a life changing experience. I realized very early in my fellowship that Dr. Chynn is a hard task master and a perfectionist and that there was no room for error. I set my goal to achieve the same standards and perfection.

During my time at PAL, I got to learn and train on all aspects of Refractive Surgery – management of patient’s pre and post op, surgical aspect, dealing with demanding patients (New Yorker’s) and handling challenging situations. I enjoyed working here, interacting with our wonderful staff and wide spectrum of our patient clientele. Dr Chynn is a great mentor and you learn a lot from him if you are open to learning.

I got the opportunity to go to AAO & ASCRS annual international conferences, all paid for. I even got the chance to do research and publish a paper/poster at one of the conferences. At PAL one has to be proactive, eager to learn and do research activities as there are plentiful openings to do so. Also, I had numerous opportunities of attending lectures/Grand Rounds at NYU Langone Medical Center . This fellowship, in my view pays more financially and qualitatively, than any other fellowship in the SF Match.

Even though Dr. Chynn is a strict boss in office, he is a friend and fun to be with, outside the office. We have had a lot of fun on our staff outings - apple picking, wine tasting, ice-skating, skiing and going to Fire Island for the weekend retreat.

This whole experience made me aware of my inner strength which I did not know even existed. I became more confident, assertive, mature and better at handling stress/challenges at work. My strong work ethics and desire to learn helped me all the way. I am confident that I can run my own Refractive practice wherever I wish to.

Dr Chynn, I want to thank you for all the encouragement and support you gave to me. You not only granted me an opportunity to work with you, but you also guided me and made me strengthen my focus on all that I ever wanted to achieve. Thank you!

Jyoti Puri, MD
Senior Refractive Fellow
Park Avenue LASEK

Last edited:
I joined the Refractive Fellowship at Park Avenue LASEK after researching on the SF Match website and I am glad I did. I was lucky enough to get a position out of the match. It has been a quite a journey since and a life changing experience. I realized very early in my fellowship that Dr. Chynn is a hard task master and a perfectionist and that there was no room for error. I set my goal to achieve the same standards and perfection.

During my time at PAL, I got to learn and train on all aspects of Refractive Surgery – management of patient’s pre and post op, surgical aspect, dealing with demanding patients (New Yorker’s) and handling challenging situations. I enjoyed working here, interacting with our wonderful staff and wide spectrum of our patient clientele. Dr Chynn is a great mentor and you learn a lot from him if you are open to learning.

I got the opportunity to go to AAO & ASCRS annual international conferences, all paid for. I even got the chance to do research and publish a paper/poster at one of the conferences. At PAL one has to be proactive, eager to learn and do research activities as there are plentiful openings to do so. Also, I had numerous opportunities of attending lectures/Grand Rounds at NYU Langone Medical Center . This fellowship, in my view pays more financially and qualitatively, than any other fellowship in the SF Match.

Even though Dr. Chynn is a strict boss in office, he is a friend and fun to be with, outside the office. We have had a lot of fun on our staff outings - apple picking, wine tasting, ice-skating, skiing and going to Fire Island for the weekend retreat.

This whole experience made me aware of my inner strength which I did not know even existed. I became more confident, assertive, mature and better at handling stress/challenges at work. My strong work ethics and desire to learn helped me all the way. I am confident that I can run my own Refractive practice wherever I wish to.

Dr Chynn, I want to thank you for all the encouragement and support you gave to me. You not only granted me an opportunity to work with you, but you also guided me and made me strengthen my focus on all that I ever wanted to achieve. Thank you!

wtf?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum Emil! I wish you luck finding a fellow, a wife and a friend on here!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum Emil! I wish you luck finding a fellow, a wife and a friend on here!

At least let your fellow drive the Ferrari! That would be an awesome "perk" to add to your fellowship description!

Ask...
Thanks for the links ! Even worse than I thought.

I wish there was a fellows perspective somewhere.

and you shall receive.

I must have missed this original thread back in April. All I have to say is wow!

My favorite part of his website is this nugget:
"As long as you do a good job as a Fellow, it is up to you how long you wish to stay with us (Dr. Almeida has been with us for 5 years and Dr. Puri for 4 years)."

The only reason I could imagine anyone doing this fellowship is this reason he says:
"If you are a well-qualified US graduate (meaning you trained at a top medical school and residency), Dr. Chynn will consider taking you on after completing our Refractive Fellowship as a full equity partner"

Lastly, he says he has 4 fellows at a time! Seriously. Then I saw one of them did general medicine and pediatrics in their home country. So one of his fellows isn't an ophthalmologist.

How does stuff like this fly?

As a first time poster I should probably keep my mouth shut and not make enemies, but seriously you guys?

I'm really surprised that everyone wants to have some kind of smooth experience when they're learning under someone else. Why in the world would a random patient be okay with you performing surgery on them if it's your first time? Put yourself in their shoes. I'm going to spend something like $4k to have some newbie do something they only know about in theory? Get real.

I can't say much about those Gawker ads. That's some crazy stuff but I think I'd lose my **** too if someone was neglecting their million dollar property, in turn ruining the value of my own. Really wouldn't be the first person I met who wasn't too keen on someone messing up their hard work. I will say though, bed side manner might be a little important to some, but if I'm learning under someone I'm more interested in their skill and if I'm being seen by my own doctor -- again, I care more about their skill. If I want a hug, I'll go spend time with my mom.

Then everyone is up in arms when obviously one of his fellows responded to the forum posts. It's funny how if anyone brings in a different point of view they're immediately ostracized. That's a bit hypocritical if you ask for someone's perspective, receive it, and then deny its accuracy. I thought medicine was all about looking at the facts and then applying it. I never thought having a bias in science was very helpful to analyzing anything, including who you should and shouldn't be working under. But what do I know?

My advice is try to keep perspective. If you're looking for the second coming when you're looking for a place to do a fellowship, keep dreaming and posting on this forum. If you're looking to get real world experience, you probably should ask yourself how places like this stay open if they're as bad as you're all saying they are.

As a first time poster I should probably keep my mouth shut and not make enemies, but seriously you guys?

I'm really surprised that everyone wants to have some kind of smooth experience when they're learning under someone else. Why in the world would a random patient be okay with you performing surgery on them if it's your first time? Put yourself in their shoes. I'm going to spend something like $4k to have some newbie do something they only know about in theory? Get real.

I can't say much about those Gawker ads. That's some crazy stuff but I think I'd lose my **** too if someone was neglecting their million dollar property, in turn ruining the value of my own. Really wouldn't be the first person I met who wasn't too keen on someone messing up their hard work. I will say though, bed side manner might be a little important to some, but if I'm learning under someone I'm more interested in their skill and if I'm being seen by my own doctor -- again, I care more about their skill. If I want a hug, I'll go spend time with my mom.

Then everyone is up in arms when obviously one of his fellows responded to the forum posts. It's funny how if anyone brings in a different point of view they're immediately ostracized. That's a bit hypocritical if you ask for someone's perspective, receive it, and then deny its accuracy. I thought medicine was all about looking at the facts and then applying it. I never thought having a bias in science was very helpful to analyzing anything, including who you should and shouldn't be working under. But what do I know?

My advice is try to keep perspective. If you're looking for the second coming when you're looking for a place to do a fellowship, keep dreaming and posting on this forum. If you're looking to get real world experience, you probably should ask yourself how places like this stay open if they're as bad as you're all saying they are.

What is your perspective? Are you a physician?

Full disclosure - I'm the patient coordinator at Park Avenue LASEK:

I'm going to guess not a single person has requested to speak with any of the fellows currently working here. It's a good guess considering I haven't had a single phone call yet.

If you want it straight from the horse's mouth, just ask to speak with the fellows, not Dr. Chynn. Since we're in the market for a new fellow (as our senior fellow is now opening up her own practice and moving on) we found ourselves on this forum. When she saw what was being said about her (soon to be former) boss, she decided to put her two cents in and defend the bad name he was getting on here, clearly through speculation.

I've worked in a few places in my life and one of the most important things you can ask for in an employer (and a surgeon) is honesty. Dr. Chynn delivers on that every time and has very high expectations of himself. Beyond that, I'll vouch for Dr. Chynn and support Dr. Puri's statement that the doc is definitely strict, but that's not to say that he's unfair. He's a perfectionist and he expects the same out of those working under him, ESPECIALLY those learning his procedure and techniques, assisting him in the OR, etc.. I don't think a single person out there looking for a fellowship wants to learn anything halfway. I also doubt doctors in general aspire to mediocrity, so I can't understand why anyone out there isn't chomping at the bit to gain first hand experience under the tutelage with someone who has 20+ years of experience in his field after studying under a premiere surgeon during his own fellowship (Dr. George Waring) and attending three ivy league schools. Apparently that doesn't seem to be held in high regard. Maybe everyone nowadays is looking for some cushy job where they can just coast and collect a check. These kinds of opportunities are rare and should be considered a gift. A gift that's obviously not being appreciated in the minds of those who are so ready to criticize someone they don't even know. Disappointing to say the least.

Beyond that, the doc made me 20/15 after I had my own surgery with him and does surgery for all of his staff if they need it as a courtesy to them. He even predicted (in writing, on the back of my business cards, etc.) that he would make me 20/15. I'd like you to find another doctor confident enough in his abilities to make that kind of claim before performing a surgery. 20/20, sure. 20/15? PLEASE introduce me to someone else with that kind of capability. I know all of his fellows both as colleagues and as acquaintances and they're some of the kindest and knowledgeable doctors I know. They all take pride in their work and attend conferences and submit studies on the forefront of their specialty.

Dr. Chynn has spent a great deal of his time branding and differentiating himself from the rest of the pack and only offers the safest procedures available. The smart patients and the smart fellows all know perfect results come from perfect expectations. What's the saying? Perfect practice makes perfect? That sums up what it's like to work here and it's exactly why I've stuck around. I could get a job anywhere else, but the potential for growth and learning here puts my previous jobs to shame.

Like I said earlier, if you're serious about finding a good fellowship, you should simply speak with someone who has first hand experience. You can call the office and ask to speak with a fellow and they'll even talk to you during their off hours on their personal lines when Dr. Chynn isn't around. If you really want the full story, all you have to do is ask for it. If you just want to make a mockery of yourselves by making assumptions, it's not going to be a good fit anyway so I suppose I should be thankful for everyone who's doing the screening for me. :)

What is your perspective? Are you a physician?

I'm just a student, but I know that anything worth having in life does not come easily. You have to earn what you want and you have to commit to getting it right. That's what I mean when I say try to keep perspective. I wouldn't be against learning under someone who has so much experience, even if it were a boot camp style. What's the worst that can happen? I have a stressful day? Ooooh, that's just so terrible.

I have one question: Since this is a refractive surgery fellowship, how many surgeries does Dr. Chynn allow his fellows to do on Dr. Chynn's own personal patients?

The reason you have no fellow is because you're not offering anything worthwhile. The people applying for fellowships are trained surgeons who can join a private practice, be trained in refractive surgery by their practice's senior partners, and potentially make 250K on top of it. Any ophthalmologist joining Dr. Chynn's fellowship will simply be losing the surgical skills that they learned in residency. If you're looking for a scut monkey, hire someone with the level and training that you're looking for -- like a high school student.

I'm just a student, but I know that anything worth having in life does not come easily. You have to earn what you want and you have to commit to getting it right. That's what I mean when I say try to keep perspective. I wouldn't be against learning under someone who has so much experience, even if it were a boot camp style. What's the worst that can happen? I have a stressful day? Ooooh, that's just so terrible.

Hi Dr. Chynn!

Isn't it obvious:

"Mr. Blue" = "Seeing clearly" = "NEWPORT123"

Gotta commend the effort though! I guess attending "3 Ivy League institutions" does not translate into humility or online common sense.

Isn't it obvious:

"Mr. Blue" = "Seeing clearly" = "NEWPORT123"

Gotta commend the effort though! I guess attending "3 Ivy League institutions" does not translate into humility or online common sense.

Or common sense in general lol

Dear Mr Blue, Seeing Clearly, Dr Puri (Newport123), Dr Chynn

I would have preferred a more objective statement rather than and emotionally defensive rant. A fellowship is a training job. At the end of the year how many refractive surgery procedures can your fellow expect to perform independently and what are those procedures? If it is close to none, perhaps you need an assistant and not a fellow?

Your emotional rant is sadly childish and defensive but unhelpful to serious applicants. Perhaps, you need to grow up and start seeing our perspective as well. If you want peer respect, you can start off by being honest. But perhaps a successful guy like you does not need our respect.

Enough said. You have given me enough reason not to apply for your 'fellowship.'

You must not be a surgeon. How do you think we get our training? The training process is an imperfect science - someone has to be our first patient. If you want to read more about it, I highly recommend the book 'Complications' by Gawande.

No comment about the Gawker ads, as they speak for themselves.

You mention bedside manner and skill as though they are mutually exclusive. They are not, and ideally, you want to go to someone with good bedside manner and skill.

If the program is so desirable and popular, why is it not filled with US ophthalmology graduates? Are the US graduates not qualified?

Frankly, many refractive surgeons become successful because of marketing. Some review sites suggest that his office provides financial incentives for positive reviews. Talk about unethical.

Last edited:
:)I really want to express how grateful I feel for Dr. Chynn and all the rest of his administrative and medical staff. I arrived to his clinic to start my fellowship 2 years ago, I only barely spoke the English language, and I am an ophthalmologist who came to the United States from my private practice in Bolivia. Though I could have come through the SF Match, I didn’t so that I could take advantage of a more flexible, part-time schedule to take care of my kids. My first 3 months were a very hard challenge for me, I needed to improve my communication skills and I was charged many tasks and responsibilities since the early beginning. I don’t regret about this since it made me a really self confident, strong person and an excellent clinician with my patients.

All the people around me were very nice and collaborative. They were always able to help and clarify most of my curiosities and ignorance. The clinical experienced acquired with Dr. Chynn is invaluable. He is a very smart and demanding person (in fact, sometimes very intimidating) but this is the way he is. It took me some time to discover the real value of Dr. Chynn and that great person he is.

Now that I left I really realize how much I will miss this place. Dr. Chynn, Dr. Puri, Dr. Almeida, my dear Liz and all the rest of the staff… THANK YOU VERY MUCH for everything.Dr. Patricia Villarroel (Dr. "V")Refractive Fellow

Can you tell us how many primary surgeries you did?

I found a picture of Dr. Chynn!

Attachments

• tumblr_lwg4ym9iC31qeviijo1_500_thumb.jpg
    tumblr_lwg4ym9iC31qeviijo1_500_thumb.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 87
:)I really want to express how grateful I feel for Dr. Chynn and all the rest of his administrative and medical staff. I arrived to his clinic to start my fellowship 2 years ago, I only barely spoke the English language, and I am an ophthalmologist who came to the United States from my private practice in Bolivia. Though I could have come through the SF Match, I didn’t so that I could take advantage of a more flexible, part-time schedule to take care of my kids. My first 3 months were a very hard challenge for me, I needed to improve my communication skills and I was charged many tasks and responsibilities since the early beginning. I don’t regret about this since it made me a really self confident, strong person and an excellent clinician with my patients.

All the people around me were very nice and collaborative. They were always able to help and clarify most of my curiosities and ignorance. The clinical experienced acquired with Dr. Chynn is invaluable. He is a very smart and demanding person (in fact, sometimes very intimidating) but this is the way he is. It took me some time to discover the real value of Dr. Chynn and that great person he is.

Now that I left I really realize how much I will miss this place. Dr. Chynn, Dr. Puri, Dr. Almeida, my dear Liz and all the rest of the staff… THANK YOU VERY MUCH for everything.Dr. Patricia Villarroel (Dr. "V")Refractive Fellow

"I would like to thank the Academy, my director Dr. Chynn, and my family for this 'best performance' award..." :)

Wow. What a complete tool. Obviously fabricated statements like this will only make things worse.

Wow. What a complete tool. Obviously fabricated statements like this will only make things worse.

If he let me drive the Ferrari every day, I would consider doing a 6 month fellowship with him :)

FOR THE RECORD

Notice of Resignation During an Ethics Investigation

At its February 2011 meeting, the Academy’s board of trustees approved a recommendation to publish information about an Academy fellow’s resignation. Emil W. Chynn, MD, of 102 East 25th Street, New York, N.Y., resigned effective Feb. 10, 2011. A challenge pursuant to the Code of Ethics was pending at the time of the resignation

Source: http://www.aao.org/publications/eyenet/201105/notebook.cfm?RenderForPrint=1&

I wonder what Emil has done, but there is no way we can know. This from the Academy's Code of Ethics:

If a Fellow or Member of the Academy who is the subject of a challenge resigns from the Academy at any time during the pendency of the proceeding of the challenge, the Ethics Committee may request that the Board of Trustees authorize the Ethics Committee to publish the fact and date of resignation, the name and address of the Fellow or Member who resigned, and the fact that a challenge pursuant to the Code of Ethics was pending at the time of the resignation. Such publication shall not reveal the nature of the challenge. Following the Board of Trustees' decision, the challenge is dismissed without any further action by the Ethics Committee, the Board of Trustees or an appellate body established after an appeal; the entire record is sealed; and the Fellow or Member may not reapply for membership in any class. In addition, the Board of Trustees may authorize the Ethics Committee to publish the fact and date of resignation, and the fact and general nature of the challenge on which a proceeding was pending at the time of the resignation, to, and at the request of, an entity engaged in the administration of law or the regulation of the conduct of physicians, in a proceeding that relates to the subject matter of the challenge, provided, however, that entity is a law enforcement agency, physician licensing authority, medical quality review board, professional peer review committee, or similar entity.

Coming to park avenue lasek was a life changing experience for me. I not only got better as a doctor but as a person too. Dr,Chynn is tough, so what, its hard to find the people who would take personal interest in improving you, yes he would be benefited for a short time while you are doing your fellowship under him and yes, its paying you for rest of your life. If you look at this, you are the one who is really benefited for rest of your life, so If you get an opportunity to do a fellowship under him, I would say GRAB------------------------------------- it if you want to improve yourself as a human being too I enjoyed working here, interacting with our wonderful staff and wide spectrum of our patient. You will not repent it.:love:
Sandhya Pahuja, MD
Senior Refractive Fellow
Park Avenue LASEK[/QUOTE]

coming to park avenue lasek was a life changing experience for me. I not only got better as a doctor but as a person too. Dr,chynn is tough, so what, its hard to find the people who would take personal interest in improving you, yes he would be benefited for a short time while you are doing your fellowship under him and yes, its paying you for rest of your life. If you look at this, you are the one who is really benefited for rest of your life, so if you get an opportunity to do a fellowship under him, i would say grab------------------------------------- it if you want to improve yourself as a human being too i enjoyed working here, interacting with our wonderful staff and wide spectrum of our patient. You will not repent it.:love:
Sandhya pahuja, md
senior refractive fellow
park avenue lasek
[/quote]

Just when you think this thread might actually die it comes back to life. Only one option left:

PTBPx.jpg