Refinancing a spouse's loan who is not working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful in refinancing a spouse's student loans if that spouse is not currently employed? I'm an attending 2 years out of residency and looking to refinance my wife's student loans. It looks as if the typical suspects won't do it (Earnest for example). I would be the cosigner....

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been successful in refinancing a spouse's student loans if that spouse is not currently employed? I'm an attending 2 years out of residency and looking to refinance my wife's student loans. It looks as if the typical suspects won't do it (Earnest for example). I would be the cosigner....

Thanks

I just asked SoFi about this, and here was their response

Thank you for your interest in SoFi. If the loan is for consolidation of her credit cards and loans then you are able to apply and use your income for the loan. If they are consolidation of student loans then she will need to apply and use you as a cosigner. She can not use your income on an application that is in her name for a personal loan.

I have not gone forward with the application as we're not ready to consolidate, but it does sound like it's possible. Not sure what the rates would look like, but I'd imagine it'd be the same as if you were taking out the loan, since you essentially are as a cosigner.