Reference Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I will be applying to the Irish med schools for Sept 2005 entry, but I wanted to get a headstart on the AB application. Do any past applicants know how Atlantic Bridge wants the reference letters. Are they submitted along with the application or do the referees have to send it directly to AB? Also, do the referees actually have to write up a letter or does a specific form come with the application? Any other info would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got all my references to send their letter directly to AB. I'm sure you if your referees gave you a letter in a sealed envelope, that would be ok as well. Check with AB for that. There are no specific forms for the letters.

What I did was I sent in my application at the beginning of october, which allowed plenty of time for my referees to mail in their letters. AB will then let you know when your app is complete.

You have to get them to send in a sealed letter signed across the seal on the back. Make sure you get people who really think highly of you because I heard from a school that they really put a lot of empahsis on what those letters say.

Considering some of the Irish schools don't even use the MCAT and they don't really have a good feel for which schools are good and what GPA's from each mean, those letters can totally be the deciding factor on getting an interview. I've heard letters from profs are the best but a lot of this is just from through the grape vine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What about using a letter service like Interfolio, where you have to have the confidentiality/waiver of rights paper anyway?

Edit: Nevermind. Answered my own question. Emailed Atlantic Bridge, and they said Interfolio was ok to use.

How many letters do AB require?

Does the typical set of AMCAS requirements apply? i.e. in terms of who they should be from.....?

cheers,
Dave.

three letters,

ummm....I'm not aware of any specific requirements....

I submitted three letters, two from previous employers who I did research with (not profs) and one from a physician who is a friend.

check with atlantic bridge directly.... they're really nice people and will answer your questions fast and politely.

Getting LOR's is cake. I would worry more about the personal statement. I believe the statement is the key to getting admission/interviews.
Personally, I didn't have "excellent" references (no profs) but I took the time to write a good personal statement which was thorough, but concise.
I went through about half a dozen revisions before I was satisfied, then I had to play with margins and spacing and font to fit it all onto two pages.
In the end, the effort paid off: I got a first-round interview (and subsequent admission) to RCSI, and waitlisted at UCC (which i withdrew because I'd rather go to rcsi)

Hey Choda....thanks for the advice.

I just finished my first draft of the personal statement, woried it reads too much like an autobiography to be honest....do they advise against such things?

thanks again for the info,
Dave.