Reference from high school teacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derek97

Reaction score
I know some schools require a rec. letter from a professor. I have never really been close to any of my professors in the sense of them being able to provide an accurate rec letter for me. Could I get letter from my high school anatomy/biology teacher who has known me for several years and could provide a letter detailing my abilities to do well in school? Would ptcas verify that and how would it look to admission committees?

Members don't see this ad.

I know some schools require a rec. letter from a professor. I have never really been close to any of my professors in the sense of them being able to provide an accurate rec letter for me. Could I get letter from my high school anatomy/biology teacher who has known me for several years and could provide a letter detailing my abilities to do well in school? Would ptcas verify that and how would it look to admission committees?
Definitely reach out to the program, but I have a feeling most will say no as they want to hear from a professor who saw your academic ability at the collegiate level.

Definitely no! They are not a professor, they do not know you in higher education. Not only would I not count it as a reference from a prof, but it would be a red flag for me why someone coming out of college was using a high school teacher.

Reactions: 1 user
The schools are really specific on who exactly can be a reference letter writer for you. Sometimes even a specific as a professor in the program you majored in while others say a professor. You really want to find people who can write you great letters of recommendation and not someone who knows you very well, it’s a common misconception those things are correlated. Often times managers, professors, and other people you’ve worked with and worked for Who you may not feel like you know well are very aware of the value you offer because they have seen your skills in action.

When you ask for a letter of recommendation explicitly ask the source if they can write you a great letter and if they don’t give you an answer that’s clear or you don’t feel good about it don’t have them write you a letter because it may be worse for your chances of being excepted.