Reduced Tuition...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMUKID

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of W.I.C.H.E.? (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education) It is supposedly a program that offers reduced tuition to students who want to attend medical or dental school, yet their home state does not have one. Has anyone out there ever used this program or know anyone that has? Any info about it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A few schools I know that participate in the WICHE compact is Loma Linda, U of Colorado, Creighton, Oregon, and Washington. There are other schools out there with agreements with other states, so check out the schools you're interested in and ask them if you qualify for the resident tuition fee.

WICHE is the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education. There are several western states that have no medical schools (public) for state residents and certain state (public) medical schools in other western states agree to consider applicants from those states as if they were residents of their own state. I don't know if it applies to dental and other schools. It may because "Higher" is in the name, not "Medical".

Residents of the states of Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho are WICHE eligible.

Arizona has a state medical school that accepts applications only from Arizona residents and WICHE certified and funded residents of Alaska, Montana or Wyoming.