Red Flag if LOR is for "grad school" and not medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin_resistant

Reaction score
I have some letters which are written for general "grad school admissions", not specifically med school. Would including these be a red flag? Should I prioritize letters which specify "medical school" over general letters for grad schools?

Some of the grad school letters are pretty well written T__T

Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some letters which are written for general "grad school admissions", not specifically med school. Would including these be a red flag? Should I prioritize letters which specify "medical school" over general letters for grad schools?
Letter writers need to know exactly what you are applying for.
Any indication that they do not is a detriment to the application.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any reason you couldn’t ask those letter writers to change some wording and resubmit?

Reactions: 4 users
I raise this point: if "grad school admissions" is a blanket description for master's programs (such as SMP's), and you just came from an SMP or similar formal postbac program, then this may not be a big red flag. But ideally, you should request letters that are properly addressing your qualifications for medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this depends less on the words used than the rest of the letter.

Some people use "graduate school" broadly to describe any post-grad study, including professional programs like medicine.

If the letter properly addresses your qualifications for medical school and it's just a generic tagline in the beginning, I'm not sure that's as big of a deal than if it's clearly written for a graduate program, which would be.

Reactions: 1 user