Red flag and PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harisjameel

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a non-US IMG currently doing a research year in a path lab and also applying to pathology this cycle. I have a one-time USMLE STEPS failure. I failed Step 2CK but passed that on the second attempt. I do want to address this in my PS but how should I do that without bringing too much negative attention to my application. I rushed with my exam and didn't do UWORLD and also had a terrible burnt out during the day of the exam. How should I address this in my PS? The rest of the application is fairly solid. I have three US pathologist LoRs, all from academic institutions and also I feel that my PI wrote a strong recommendation for me. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
Background USMLE STEP1: 223, USMLE STEP 2CK (2) 227, USMLE CS (1st) & USMLE STEP 3 211, 4 US pathology rotations and also doing research in the field of informatics.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to as many low to mid tier programs as you can afford. The bar is set low in Pathology which should not be the case in a field where we are making high stakes diagnoses. Patients deserve better.

As a huge aside, low tier programs are waste. They depend on cheap labor aka residents to save money. In my opinion, close all low tier programs and open up the job market even more for young pathologists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The key is to demonstrate a sincere interest in Pathology. Past failures can be overlooked if you are able to do this. Interviewers can pick up bullsh$tters.

There are applicants who apply to Pathology because it’s non competitive especially in low tier programs and some mid tier programs. Attendings at these places interview these people and have to screen them out if they get to the interview stage.

The academic institution where you are doing your research should be prioritizing you as an applicant if you did good work for them and have shown a sincere interest in pathology. Your PI if he really likes you would talk to the program director or chair to get you in the program.

In regards to your personal statement, focus on the positives. I would not comment on your failure and focus the PS based on your experience in your path rotations. You did many rotations so you should have a lot to say.

Your sincere interest in pathology should be demonstrated in your personal statement.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The key is to demonstrate a sincere interest in Pathology. Past failures can be overlooked if you are able to do this. Interviewers can pick up bullsh$tters.

There are applicants who apply to Pathology because it’s non competitive especially in low tier programs and some mid tier programs. Attendings at these places interview these people and have to screen them out if they get to the interview stage.
Thank you very much. I believe my rotations and LoRs demonstrate my genuine interest in pathology. I am just fearful of my application getting filtered out.

KeratinPearls pulling no punches today. Well done, well done.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much. I believe my rotations and LoRs demonstrate my genuine interest in pathology. I am just fearful of my application getting filtered out.
Most pathology programs have no score filters set unlike in IM. Apply broadly and on the first day. The content of your letters will decide your fate eventually. And I agree to KeratinPearls on not making your entire PS about a failure.

Most pathology programs have no score filters set unlike in IM. Apply broadly and on the first day. The content of your letters will decide your fate eventually. And I agree to KeratinPearls on not making your entire PS about a failure.
Thank you so much. So far I have received 7 interviews.

Reactions: 1 users