Recorded Lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperCooper_1997

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be attending KSUCPM this fall, and I know that all lectures are recorded. What are your views on recorded lectures? Is it worth it to attend classes, or do you tend to be better off watching lectures at home? I feel like you could get through more material if you went over lectures at home as opposed to going at the pace of the lecturer. I'm just curious about how much time I should expect to spend on campus. Any insight from current Kent students or students from other schools would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I love recorded lectures. I usually watch at like 1.5-2X speed and take my notes on it. It allows me to pause and rewind if I felt I didnt grasp a concept. I think its a much more efficient first pass than going to lecture where its impossible to take notes on everything and be listening attentively at the same time. But some students are more active learners like asking lots of questions in class so it may help them going. I personally never say a word in class and if I have a question I try to figure it out myself before asking a prof.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I will be attending KSUCPM this fall, and I know that all lectures are recorded. What are your views on recorded lectures? Is it worth it to attend classes, or do you tend to be better off watching lectures at home? I feel like you could get through more material if you went over lectures at home as opposed to going at the pace of the lecturer. I'm just curious about how much time I should expect to spend on campus. Any insight from current Kent students or students from other schools would be helpful. Thanks!
I wouldn't go to lectures. Watch on your own. You probably will go to lectures first week or so as most will and will see what works best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I love recorded lectures. I usually watch at like 1.5-2X speed and take my notes on it. It allows me to pause and rewind if I felt I didnt grasp a concept. I think its a much more efficient first pass than going to lecture where its impossible to take notes on everything and be listening attentively at the same time. But some students are more active learners like asking lots of questions in class so it may help them going. I personally never say a word in class and if I have a question I try to figure it out myself before asking a prof.
I wouldn't go to lectures. Watch on your own. You probably will go to lectures first week or so as most will and will see what works best for you.
Thank you both. So are labs and tests the only times you really go to school then?

Thank you both. So are labs and tests the only times you really go to school then?
Pretty much, but there are also other ways to stay engaged. There are guest speakers, various presentations on residency, rotations and research, various club activites and so on. These are not required. Some students just come to school early morning and stay very late even if they do not go to lectures. They study, eat, and relax at the Gym and just talk to others during their study breaks.

Basically, I'll come in if its a clinician speaking tho. To me they seem to be more interested and teach clinically relevant things. Plus I know I'll be seeing them in clinic later so it's best if they see my face in their lectures.

Some of the Phd's its very clear this is just a side task they have to do so that they can do the research they're actually into. And God forbid you get a Phd teaching a topic they did their post doc or thesis on. Oh God they go into so much detail and its sooo boring.

Basically, I'll come in if its a clinician speaking tho. To me they seem to be more interested and teach clinically relevant things. Plus I know I'll be seeing them in clinic later so it's best if they see my face in their lectures.

Some of the Phd's its very clear this is just a side task they have to do so that they can do the research they're actually into. And God forbid you get a Phd teaching a topic they did their post doc or thesis on. Oh God they go into so much detail and its sooo boring.
My observation was different this first year for sciences and clin med courses. I liked PhDs' lectures more than the ones done by DOs or MDs.

I love using boxcast from home. It has allowed me to keep up with a couple of my hobbies that take a decent amount of time, which at a school that required attendance I would probably have to give up. I can think of times where there were 10-14 straight days I never stepped foot in the school. Don’t get me wrong, I work hard from home to succeed and it definitely takes discipline because it’s easy to slack off and working from home is not for everybody. I go in for labs, quizzes, exams, required group work/presentations, days we can get bonus points in class, and some days when I feel I have a lot to do and need to do so without distractions. There are even times when I have scheduled ahead of time to take a quiz or exam early or late because I was registered for a trial or to compete months in advance and the faculty have been awesome working with me. Kent has been a real blessing for me, allowing me to succeed in school and continue to participate in a hobby that some people make a career out of. Even without being at school the majority of days, I have found it easy to make friends and socialize with them through workshops and social events.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm excited to find out which lectures I prefer more, and I like that there is plenty to do that will keep me involved other than just lecture and lab. Thanks Podstar for sharing. I'm glad to know that Kent will work with you so well. Thanks all three of you for responding!

Reactions: 1 users