Record or not record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kara31191

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working with my vet using Quickbooks. I've just been entering slips, reorganizing our files for the clinic and other office/buisness things. Should I record this under my hours? Or not because it isn't related? I mean I'm still at work and making phonecalls?

**** Sorry for the confusion. I mean under veterinary experience. ******

Members don't see this ad.

This is veterinary experience. Kara, when you apply (unless they shake things up in the next 5? years or so :)) you split your hours into "animal experience" and "veterinary experience". The only requirement for the latter is that is is supervised by a veterinarian (or PhD for research). This is certainly veterinary supervised.

Let's start a pool...how many thousands of hours do we think Kara will have racked up by the time she is ready to apply? :p

Oops. Dont you just love how we get ourselves into these things. This is exactly why most of us are in vet medicine is because we want to make things better. Unfortunately, we dont always stop and think, hummm, how is this going to effect me later. Lesson learned, no more sermon.
Just talk to your boss and say something to the effect that when you took on this task is was merely to make things better, learning experience ect..just something positive but then discuss how its taking more time/ more resources than you anticipated yada yada and then ask would it be appropriate to put the hours you are working to better the clinic on your regular time sheet. Of course I believe 100% that is is appropriate, BUT since he didnt clarify ahead of time, depending on what local you live in, it would be considered extra time and that ALWAYS must be supervisor approved. If hes a decent boss he will most certainly agree. If not then take note, even if it serves to make your life easier, if you dont get compensated for it you may resent it later. And from a voice of experience if you do it once uncompensated, they may expect you to do it again free of charge! Good Luck. Excellent question by the way!

Oops.. guess I misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking if you should get paid while working for the clinic on extra duties. Nevermind then.

In regards to your correct question, I would put that under business related experience. Not animal handling, but important to document nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure Kara was wondering if these hours will count for vet school applications, not on her timesheet for work.

Oops. Dont you just love how we get ourselves into these things. This is exactly why most of us are in vet medicine is because we want to make things better. Unfortunately, we dont always stop and think, hummm, how is this going to effect me later. Lesson learned, no more sermon.
Just talk to your boss and say something to the effect that when you took on this task is was merely to make things better, learning experience ect..just something positive but then discuss how its taking more time/ more resources than you anticipated yada yada and then ask would it be appropriate to put the hours you are working to better the clinic on your regular time sheet. Of course I believe 100% that is is appropriate, BUT since he didnt clarify ahead of time, depending on what local you live in, it would be considered extra time and that ALWAYS must be supervisor approved. If hes a decent boss he will most certainly agree. If not then take note, even if it serves to make your life easier, if you dont get compensated for it you may resent it later. And from a voice of experience if you do it once uncompensated, they may expect you to do it again free of charge! Good Luck. Excellent question by the way!

Oops.. guess I misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking if you should get paid while working for the clinic on extra duties. Nevermind

Nopers. =D I signed up to do this on Sundays and nights when we aren't open. Everyone at the clinic calls me crazy because I spend every minutes I'm not in school at the clinic. I just love being there. I think that it's more fun than being with friends! =)

I'm one of those people who likes to learn. Not even in a school setting. Just learning is fun! =) I was like ACCOUNTING. Sure I'll help. Reorganize your files for the past 5 years SURE! :laugh: I think I'm crazy.

I'm sure I'll have put a good 3000 hours into this clinic before I graduate HS, nevermind college! :rolleyes:

Actually, that's great that you're learning some administrative stuff of veterinary medicine. The Veterinary Business Management Association always stresses to us the importance of knowing how to do that, especially if you want to own your own practice some day.

I'm with Electrophile. Put it as a point under your description of this vet med experience because it will show you have an idea of the business side of vet med private practice, too. That will likely be rather unique and unique = great.

Man, I have to agree. You're really on the ball here with racking up experience. It's going to look so great to adcoms, not to mention how great it will be for your sake in terms of knowing this field is what you want to do with your life!

I'm with Electrophile. Put it as a point under your description of this vet med experience because it will show you have an idea of the business side of vet med private practice, too. That will likely be rather unique and unique = great.

Man, I have to agree. You're really on the ball here with racking up experience. It's going to look so great to adcoms, not to mention how great it will be for your sake in terms of knowing this field is what you want to do with your life!

Gosh, if there's anything I can do now, I will do it. I never thought that this would be a plus though! :)

The vet I work for just opened this clinic last april. I saw the clinic under construction. I saw most of the interviews. I've never really been "interested" in buisness or opening my own clinic, but at least now I know how stressful and tedious it is! The doc is so stressed half the time, and I just can't wait til we have experienced staff, a not so stressed doctor, and a lot of buisness. The clinic has been gaining clients like crazy lately.
I have to admit, it was stressful being thrown in this setting during the beginning! =( I didn't know what I was doing! Now I'm the one the doc prefers to help her with the bird appts. I feel great about handling them also! :)

It's helpful the doc was an accountant years before she was a vet.

Hi, Kara,

Absolutely, this is helpful. Since you have such a great relationship with your doctor, and because she has such extensive experience in finance, I think it would be a great idea to formulate some questions for her. Most of us get very little business training in veterinary school, and the advent of/increasingly ubiquitous Veterinary Business Management Association (VBMA) is looking to change and augment that. However, the more she's willing to tell you about financial management now, the better!

I'm not talking about specific numbers, but basic things such as: how much percentage of practice gross goes toward salary/staffing? Are the doctors paid base + percentage of production (i.e, 25% of what the client pays for services? 20%?)? Or are the doctors paid a flat salary? How much inventory does she try to have her techs maintain on the shelf (i.e., three months' worth, one month worth, etc)? How much does she mark up her prescription drugs, and is there a dispensing fee? How much does she mark up outside laboratory tests/laboratory tests done in-house? How did she arrive at her exam fee? What percent profit does the practice generally see on service charges (exams, surgery time, that sort of thing--where the client is paying for time/expertise/knowledge) versus product sales?

Again, don't ask for specific numbers and of course remember that some of that information is pretty personal. Based on your relatioship and her comfort level with sharing professional info, she'll likely tell you some things but not others.

Things like that will help get the wheels turning and start a basis of comparison for you. Of course, you have to know these things about a large number of practices (and do some research/take some classes on your own) before you can begin to think about what works for you--but knowledge is not a bad thing! Please ask her about this stuff as well as clinical medicine and client communication (my big favorite). It will serve you VERY well--on your application and in your future endeavors.

I HATED business growing up, and my brother has a degree in finance--we're both complete opposites! :) However, when I helped a neurologist open up her own practice, I learned sooo much and found it really interesting--and of course, it helped that I felt a large degree of personal investment (emotional, not financial) in the well-being of the practice.

Also, as someone who started in veterinary medicine at the age of 14 doing a lot of stuff you're doing now--except in an exclusively small-animal setting--I applaud you and am telling you that every single experience you're having CAN and WILL serve you well in vet school. I can't tell you how much it's helped me so far, and we're not even in clinics yet!!! GOOD LUCK! If you have any questions about what I've mentioned, feel free to post or PM me.

Sorry for the long post...but good job, Kara. :love:

Thank you for the response Alliecat!

I'm so excited to see where I will be in just a few years. I hope I will gain more and more knowledge. I've been doing a lot of tedious work... Like rewriting dates and filing things... and I can't forget entering slips into quick books. I just know that this will all pay off one day. The day I walk through the doors of a vet school for the first time will be just about the best day of my entire life! =)

I managed to get all of her 2003 file organized and finished yesterday. :D What a scary stack of papers! =)

I think that anywork experience is good experience to put on your vet application (Many places ask other jobs you have had outside of the veterinary field). In this case, i think that you should definately include this experience because it is related to vet med, especially if you are thinking of owning and running your own practice. I think some schools require or suggest business courses, this experience you have is fantastic and you should def include it.