Recommended reading for path rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mezger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is still another year out, but figure it doesn't hurt to ask. What is the recommended reading for a med student to do really well in a path rotation?

I'll have class notes and RR Goljan, maybe a textbook as a reference (Robbins?). Knowing that material cold is it necessary to get into board certification level books? I am interested in a career in path, thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Robbins is a good place to start on a path rotation, but if you're dedicated to the field The Practice of Surgical Pathology by Dr. Molavi is a wonderful introductory book for first year residents.

Reactions: 2 users
Robbins is a good place to start on a path rotation, but if you're dedicated to the field The Practice of Surgical Pathology by Dr. Molavi is a wonderful introductory book for first year residents.

I agree with the above. Differential diagnosis in surgical pathology is a good book too. I am sure some will say "rosai or sternberg's" but I think those are overrated and useless. If you plan to go into path residency, the entire diagnostic pathology series is wonderful but expensive (online version is Expert Path).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Do you think it's worth it for an M2 to go to M&M, path conferences, etc? Or will it be too advanced?

During path rotations are the type of questions we're asked more integrated medically/surgically or is it very focused?

Thank you. Do you think it's worth it for an M2 to go to M&M, path conferences, etc? Or will it be too advanced?

During path rotations are the type of questions we're asked more integrated medically/surgically or is it very focused?

From my experience, it depends on if the attending teaches medical students pathology regularly or not. If they do, they might ask you Robbins-like questions or things you are taught in a medical school class, like what is Barrett's esophagus. If they don't, they probably won't know how to interact with you and won't ask you anything though they might try to teach you clinical pathology.

I do agree with reading the Molavi book, which will help you begin to understand pathology and discuss it on a resident level. To have a successful rotation, you want to fit in with the residents as much as possible. Quickly figure out how to be helpful without asking. Ask questions as you have them, don't have some pre-planned question that will seem awkward when you ask it or ask a question about every case.

As far as the conferences are concerned, if the residents go to them, go to them. If the residents like you, they will help make you look like a star in front of the attendings...