This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuviraa

Reaction score
I know everyone says to supplement with KA videos, but which book is better EK, NS, or PR? I've heard good things about NS and PR.

Also is BR good for psychology?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I know everyone says to supplement with KA videos, but which book is better EK, NS, or PR? I've heard good things about NS and PR.

Thank you so much!

i would think that most books would be fairly similar. and that's been my limited experience with kaplan, EK, barrons ....... not that much material, general fairly easy and logical (definitely some memorization required) and the material can't be compressed that much into a summary (whereas biology and biochem certain can)

Thank you so much!
I used KA vids + Princeton Review psych/soc. Not sure about the others, but I'm sure they're fine.

I have the BR and NS Psych books, but I haven't used them. I went through the KA videos + 300 page document, and now I am supplementing with the UWorld passages. I will always be in favor of UWorld, because their explanations are AMAZING, plus you get exposure to a lot of passages. I hope this still works, but it is a free 90 day subscription to UWorld that some SDN member posted a while back UWorld

Edit: BR doesn't contain a sociology section. If you decide to use them, you will have to find a way to incorporate sociology into your studies. But I hear they contain really good passages to prepare you for the Psych section. Good luck, OP!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get the UWorld free trial and do all of their PS practice questions. Read the explanations THOROUGHLY. They are SO helpful!! I am wholeheartedly convinced that UWorld helped me score a 131 on PS. Use KA and any prep book as well as the 100 page KA document (or 300 page, if you want to be more thorough) and supplement it with the UWorld practice problems/AAMC ones and you'll crush it. Best of luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
As a college psychology instructor, I thought this background on MCAT Psych/Soc might give you some deeper inspiration for studying these subjects. Best of luck to all of you!

Students often wonder why they need to study psychology and sociology in order to study medicine. Even more frequently, in my experience, they wonder why the MCAT specifically tests their knowledge of these two social sciences. Even if they are not psychiatrists, all physicians need a basic understanding of human behavior, as patients could present with psychological symptoms and conditions in any setting. That's how psychology helps medical professionals. Sociology assists doctors by helping them to become culturally competent, while learning how society impacts a patient's health. Although I am a social scientist by training, I am also a clinician, and I can attest that a health professional's familiarity with sociological and psychological (even if they are non-clinical) concepts makes a huge difference.

The MCAT psych/soc is the final section of the exam. Despite its place in the order of the test, you are preparing for success as a physician early by studying this material. Mastering this critical content will help you to succeed in medical school and as a physician. Psych/Soc questions do not just test for mere understanding; rather, the questions ask you to apply the concepts you've learned. This type of application of learning is similar to what one would do as an actual medical student or doctor.

Thank you so much!

I used TPR and KA for P/S and have really liked them both. I make flash cards of any terminology I see and review that before passage sets.

I have not used TBR or NS for P/S, but from what I've been told, they are not as good. TBR is great for the sciences (the best there is), but I hear they aren't very good for P/S and CARS.

I own EK, NS and TPR book sets and preferred NS the most of the three. Also, get a free UWorld account--do every passage, every question. Take detailed notes for anything that you missed or didn't completely understand.

I didn't do the KA outlines, felt it was overkill after doing everything above. Scored a 130 in P/S for what it's worth.