Recommendations for Private Practice Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roblaur

UPenn c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a second year veterinary student, and I'm starting to figure out where I want to do externships. I want to do a SA rotating internship in private practice after I graduate, so I want to do externships in practices I am considering for internships. I know there are a lot of poor internship programs in private practice, but there are also a lot of great ones. I was hoping to hear some personal experiences for specific practices you would recommend or steer clear of.

I know AMC and Angell are great but I don't have the most competitive GPA right now due to some life issues during my first year. While I'm working on improving it, I doubt I'll end up being competitive enough for those specific programs. I'm most interested in emergency and would like surgery experience if possible, but I'm not planning in a residency as of now.

Members don't see this ad.

I did an internship at a smaller VCA specialty hospital and enjoyed it (well, as much as anyone ever enjoys an internship). It was an overall positive experience. There are a few negatives with a corporate practice like VCA, but they really do try to put an emphasis on learning and there are some overarching guidelines that all VCA internships are supposed to follow within the organization, which I think helps with quality control a little bit. I also had a not-so-competitive GPA. I think your strategy to visit ones you're most interested in is smart. I don't think I would have matched if I hadn't visited the practice I ended up matching to, but they knew me and remembered me so they were willing to give me a shot even though on paper I was less competitive than my internmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an internship at a smaller VCA specialty hospital and enjoyed it (well, as much as anyone ever enjoys an internship). It was an overall positive experience. There are a few negatives with a corporate practice like VCA, but they really do try to put an emphasis on learning and there are some overarching guidelines that all VCA internships are supposed to follow within the organization, which I think helps with quality control a little bit. I also had a not-so-competitive GPA. I think your strategy to visit ones you're most interested in is smart. I don't think I would have matched if I hadn't visited the practice I ended up matching to, but they knew me and remembered me so they were willing to give me a shot even though on paper I was less competitive than my internmates.

That's good to know. There's a VCA in San Diego that I am interested in and I already submitted an application for externing there. I know that corporate practices have their problems - I've teched for VetCor and BluePearl in the past.

It's really encouraging to hear you were able to secure an internship with a not-so-competitive GPA. I've been told it's doable but it's good to hear it first hand. My GPA is improving quite a bit and I hope clinics give it a good boost too, but I know first year really did some damage. I do well in interviews so I feel like meeting everyone and working with them beforehand will definitely help.

BluePearl in Tampa has a very good internship program

Oh good! I worked for a BluePearl hospital in Philadelphia so I may have some networking in my advantage there too. I know a recent grad who interned there; I'll have to reach out to her. Thanks!

No personal experience with private practice internships, but a friend of mine raved about her internship at Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital in Denver.

No personal experience with private practice internships, but a friend of mine raved about her internship at Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital in Denver.
I have also heard fantastic things from several vets that did their internship at Wheat Ridge.

VIRMP is starting to publish surveys of private practice interns to gauge program quality. They only have a few programs listed but it can be pretty eye opening. Wheat Ridge has phenomenal ratings on their survey. If I had applied for private practice positions I definitely would have applied there.

VIRMP is starting to publish surveys of private practice interns to gauge program quality. They only have a few programs listed but it can be pretty eye opening. Wheat Ridge has phenomenal ratings on their survey. If I had applied for private practice positions I definitely would have applied there.

I saw those surveys - I hope they're able to keep compiling them; that would be very useful. As for Wheat Ridge, I reached out for scheduling an externship, but they only accept externs in the top 50% of their class. I hope to be there soon but I'm not there yet. I imagine their internship is quite competitive also. My GPA is quickly climbing now that I'm back on my feet so to speak, but it is no where near good enough at this point. I'll definitely keep them in mind if I meet their requirements in the future though.

Thanks for everyone's input - it's been helpful.