Recommendations for MD and DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnvisionMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN enthusiasts,

I have a simple question regarding LOR for MD (and DO schools).

If I have a letter from my school's committee and an M.D. (internist), will another letter from a second M.D. (pediatrician) become redundant? Will it help in any way?

Also, do DO schools welcome an M.D. letter and do they have a higher preference for a DO LOR?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on your relationship to the MDs. If you think they have different things to say about you, it wouldn't be redundant. I have 2 MD letters but one is my employer and the other is a coworker. Naturally they have different things to say about me.

And for DO schools, some DO schools require at least one DO letter. Some don't. But I have heard most prefer DO letters, although I am not sure if that is factual. @Goro would know though.

Another physician letter will neither help not hurt you, unless it says something unfavorable, which is unlikely. Most MD schools don't really care about physician letters, anyway.

Most DO schools, however, have a physician letter requirement, in favor of those from osteopathic docs. Some straight up require one from a DO, so check requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say in general, having one physician letter is most common. The other 2-3 are usually committee letters, along with perhaps a professor or PI. That's just what I have seen and heard from my friends/classmates.

As banthapug said, if the two physicians can speak to different elements of your character and application, then this "rule" goes out the window. The idea behind any LOR is to outline how you will positively contribute to medicine and a medical school class...so if they approach this from different views or levels, then go for it.

Another physician letter will neither help not hurt you, unless it says something unfavorable, which is unlikely. Most MD schools don't really care about physician letters, anyway.

Most DO schools, however, have a physician letter requirement, in favor of those from osteopathic docs. Some straight up require one from a DO, so check requirements.
Where did you hear this? From an adcom? I'm not sure this is sage advice. It is true that most DO schools have a physician letter requirement, though.

Thank you so much @banthapug and @J Senpai and @SnakeDoc9497 for your fast and considerate responses. So it's save to assume that if the second MD writer has nothing to add, don't approach them?

I can only assume that I have developed a good relationship with the first writer, which will include all my strong points in the draft.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Where did you hear this? From an adcom? I'm not sure this is sage advice. It is true that most DO schools have a physician letter requirement, though.
I've heard this from Goro and from gyngyn on several occasions.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much @banthapug and @J Senpai and @SnakeDoc9497 for your fast and considerate responses. So it's save to assume that if the second MD writer has nothing to add, don't approach them?

I can only assume that I have developed a good relationship with the first writer, which will include all my strong points in the draft.

Thank you everyone for the responses.
You are correct

Then I definitely trust it. That is interesting to know.

The reasoning is that letters from doctors you shadow tend to be uniformly positive and not particularly detailed. It's different if you have an extensive relationship (I'm going to submit one from a doctor I've shadowed for 50+ hours and worked on clinical research with).

Also it should be noted that a few MD schools do specifically ask for a letter from a doctor. I know this includes Rosalind Franklin, UAZ-Tuscon, and VA Tech. I'd bet there are others that I have not looked into as well.

The reasoning is that letters from doctors you shadow tend to be uniformly positive and not particularly detailed. It's different if you have an extensive relationship (I'm going to submit one from a doctor I've shadowed for 50+ hours and worked on clinical research with).

Also it should be noted that a few MD schools do specifically ask for a letter from a doctor. I know this includes Rosalind Franklin, UAZ-Tuscon, and VA Tech. I'd bet there are others that I have not looked into as well.
Yep I'm in a similar boat. Worked with a local doc that treated me a few years ago every summer in college. So his letter wouldn't necessarily count as "a shadowed physician letter"

Some schools (UCF, Rush) require a 2 "character letters" from people who know you outside academics. Check the LOR requirements to see if any schools your applying to need these letters. Having a second MD letter would fill the requirement at these schools