Recommendations for a great Pediatrics text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phez

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a first year osteopathic medical student looking for a really good pediatrics book. We havent had pediatrics yet but i'd like to get a head start because I really feel like a goof when I cant answer simple "is this normal for my babie" questions from parents. Any resources will be of much help; it has been suggested by my mother in-law that a child would remedie that situation, however i think that at the moment, a text will be much more economical.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers, Phez

Members don't see this ad.

If you know all the basics in the blueprints review text, you already ahead of your third year seniors. Use that book as your study guide. For hard core, read the Nelsons for specific topics.

From my experience, textbooks do not tell you what behaviors are "normal" in a child. The books I looked at were heavy in pathophysiology and clinical management. More practical every-day kind of issues are not really discussed. Truely learning what is normal for a child comes from years of experience and observing children. Third year is all about becoming familiar with a variety of specialties on a fairly superficial level. No one will ever expect you to know it so well that you can adequately advise others on the nuances of their health. I admire you for trying but do not get discouraged if you find you fall short. Good luck with your studies.

p.s. If you are looking for a good peds text, our school issues a Nelson's for rent to each student so they feel highly about that book. I literally opened it two or three times over the entire 2 month rotation because I found Blueprints to be clear and concise yet adequately covers a variety of topics. Supplement it with PreTest and Appleton and Lange and you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you want a good book that has information about parenting. If anything, as a primary care pediatrician, those will be the questions the parents will hit you with the most. They really don't care about the pathophysiology of Beckwith-Weidemann syndrome, or the most likely bugs that cause meningitis in a neonate (unless of course their child has that condition).

A good book you might want to read is "Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5." It's a good book written for parents by doctors that answers almost any question a parent will throw at you especially during a well baby check. Unfortunately, not much of what's covered in there is taught to you in your pediatric clerkship or during residency.

Here's the amazon link to the book.... Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, Revised edition: From birth to Age 5

I'd be careful about dispensing advice to parents as a first year medical student, even if you have read it in a textbook. Book knowledge does not make up for years of clinical experience and skill.
IMHO, if parents ask you something about their child, the best response is to tell them what it might be, stress that you are only a first year medical student and that they should ask their pediatrician.