Recommendation read for principle of inpatient psychiatry management and disposition??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am new psych intern posted at inpatient floor. I was wondering what could be recommendation read to know about principle of inpatient psychiatry, it’s admission criteria, management’s and disposition??

Members don't see this ad.

See if you can get a hold of your unit's SOPs. It's likely going to be more immediately helpful than books or articles that cover theory or ideal practice.

Thank you comp for your reply. But, to my hard luck, I could not find any such SOP here in my unit. I am super confused about how does the inpatient psychiatry flow works, what’s the rationale and principle for having patient admitted and how long should one be there and what’s criteria for discharge. Basically, I am unable to figure out what’s the basic principle of inpatient psychiatry. Any help would be much appreciated. Any SOP or readout for reference would be a lot of help to understand things better. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you not have senior residents you can talk to? are you not working with an attending?

Thank you comp for your reply. But, to my hard luck, I could not find any such SOP here in my unit. I am super confused about how does the inpatient psychiatry flow works, what’s the rationale and principle for having patient admitted and how long should one be there and what’s criteria for discharge. Basically, I am unable to figure out what’s the basic principle of inpatient psychiatry. Any help would be much appreciated. Any SOP or readout for reference would be a lot of help to understand things better. Thank you so much!
This is the point of residency, if you knew these things you would already be an attending. Learn and ask questions while working and in 4 years you’ll know most of what you need, good luck and have fun.

The only answer that I get is you will learn it as you go by. Was wondering if there is any book, article or something to read on except that learning by doing thing.