Recommendation from Advisor whom you left on bad terms with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HabituallyLate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had three research experiences, two in chemistry (I'm still performing research in chemistry), and one in molecular biology. The Mol. Bio research was my second experience, and things were going pretty well (I was getting results, learning a lot, and really enjoyed my work), but I realized that my true passion and interest lay in my work as a chemist... I also felt that I had the best knowledge base and would enjoy the most success there.

I had decided (after presenting work from my first chem experience at a national meeting) to switch to biology because I had always wanted the chance to work independently on a biological project, I didn't know if I'd ever have the chance to work in biology again (probably not), and I wanted to diversify myself as a scientist.... when I thanked my PI for his mentorship and the opportunity he gave me, and told him that I had decided to move on, it really perturbed our relationship (to put it mildly). Thus, I don't think it would be in my best interest at all to get a letter from him. I think I'll get two great letters from my other mentors, and I have two other guys in chem and two in humanities who'll give me good letters too (6 letters). Do you guys think it'll be all right? I say this only because on the Wash U St. Louis MSTP app, it asks for letters from all mentors, and asks for an explanation if you dont do so, so if i just say that my relationship with my PI was perturbed upon leaving, think that'll be OK? Thanks!!

HabituallyLate

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Habitually late,
I have a pretty similar situation. I kinda lucked out because I used to work closely with a scientist in that lab and after leaving my relationship with her wasn't affected at all. So I asked her to write me a letter instead of our PI. Her name might not be as big as my PI's but at least I won't have to explain why things got nasty. Plus, getting a rec letter from her was more appropriate since she knew more about me by working closely with me and writing a paper together. I don't know if something similar applies to you. If there were any post docs or grad students you worked with you could ask them. If not, I guess you will have to explain and you should just be honest about it. Don't ever say anything negative about that PI though. If your other letters are really good the schools shouldn't have a problem with it. They'll see that you are great at doing research and the other one must have not been your fault.
But this is just my opinion. Hope someone else replies too so you can get different views on this.
Good luck!

PS: I'm glad there are other habitually later people out there :laugh: :oops:

HabituallyLate said:
Hi all,

I've had three research experiences, two in chemistry (I'm still performing research in chemistry), and one in molecular biology. The Mol. Bio research was my second experience, and things were going pretty well (I was getting results, learning a lot, and really enjoyed my work), but I realized that my true passion and interest lay in my work as a chemist... I also felt that I had the best knowledge base and would enjoy the most success there.

I had decided (after presenting work from my first chem experience at a national meeting) to switch to biology because I had always wanted the chance to work independently on a biological project, I didn't know if I'd ever have the chance to work in biology again (probably not), and I wanted to diversify myself as a scientist.... when I thanked my PI for his mentorship and the opportunity he gave me, and told him that I had decided to move on, it really perturbed our relationship (to put it mildly). Thus, I don't think it would be in my best interest at all to get a letter from him. I think I'll get two great letters from my other mentors, and I have two other guys in chem and two in humanities who'll give me good letters too (6 letters). Do you guys think it'll be all right? I say this only because on the Wash U St. Louis MSTP app, it asks for letters from all mentors, and asks for an explanation if you dont do so, so if i just say that my relationship with my PI was perturbed upon leaving, think that'll be OK? Thanks!!

HabituallyLate