Recommend Loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current first year derm. Did my first excision today! (with lots of guidance from upper level).

Do you think loupes are helpful during residency? I'm not sure what I want to do after residency (most likely not Mohs but who knows?), but I want to train the best that I can, and if they will help me improve my surgical technique a little bit, then I'm willing to spend on them (have been saving a lot since med school graduation). Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Loupes have their pros and cons.
pros: improved posture, many have attached lights allowing you to always have light directed where you’re looking, less eye strain, they make you look like a real doctor

cons: while they can improve your posture the fixed focal distance often pushes you into a different, static, often poor posture. There are reports that the blue wavelength of light can contribute to macular degeneration (surgitel loupes have blocked out this wavelength). Tunnel vision puts your assistants at higher risk for an Accidental needle stick or cut. Customer service can be poor and the repair process unusually slow

IMO, only if you want to do Mohs and the Mohs guy at your program is telling you to get them - then should you get them.

Otherwise, you will look silly and probably won't use them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recommended to start at 2.5x. there is a learning curve. After that, you can go higher (3-3.5x).

Slackr, I remember your posts from back in the day (vs ENT?). Are you going to apply for mohs ?

Recommended to start at 2.5x. there is a learning curve. After that, you can go higher (3-3.5x).

Slackr, I remember your posts from back in the day (vs ENT?). Are you going to apply for mohs ?

I’m in fellowship currently.

My PD doesn’t use loupes, but I tried them at meetings before and liked the magnification. When do you feel like the magnification really helps?