recognized medical school in india when coming back to us

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitinkgarg2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a NRI living in India. I am planning on going to India for medical school. The colleges I am mainly looking at are not on the list of recognized by the State of California when applying for a license. Is there any way to make sure that if I go to these schools I will be able to practice in California? Also, if the school gains recognition while I am completing my schooling will that allow me to get a license to practice in California? Note: When I apply for a license it will probably be about 10 years from now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am a NRI living in India. I am planning on going to India for medical school. The colleges I am mainly looking at are not on the list of recognized by the State of California when applying for a license. Is there any way to make sure that if I go to these schools I will be able to practice in California? Also, if the school gains recognition while I am completing my schooling will that allow me to get a license to practice in California? Note: When I apply for a license it will probably be about 10 years from now.

First of all, there is NO guarantee that you WILL practice in California. It all depends on how your USMLE scores are, clinical rotations in America, and stuff like that. Research a bit more on ways to perfect your chances to get residency in US.
The main things to be concerned: USMLE. If you get a high score, you got chances high to be licensed and practice in anywhere in US. :)

As the poster above mentioned, if the California Medical Board doesn't recognize your medical school, you won't be able to get licensed to practice there. However if there is some agreement between the board and your school during the course of your study, whether or not the approval will be retroactive (meaning, applicable to classes which started a while ago) remains a big question.

I would strongly suggest considering schools which are approved by the California Medical Board.