Reciprocal offers and programs that adhere to Uniform Notification Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seven_Costanza

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I'm applying to 1-year clinical postdocs and noticed that one of my sites makes offers 3 weeks ahead of the Uniform Notification Date while the rest of my sites (VAs) adhere to it. I have typically heard of reciprocal offers being made in the context of research/neuropsych/rehab postdocs that don't participate in the UND. Do VA sites consider reciprocal offers for the 1-year clinical positions that participate in the UND? I'm pretty location limited this year, so it is really important for me to secure a local position. I would prefer a position with one of the nearby VA sites but there is no guarantee I'll receive an offer on the UND and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot be declining an offer with the other site. I guess my question is, if the other program offers me the position, would I be able to make a reciprocal offer to one of my other sites before the UND? Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Members don't see this ad.

At least according to APPIC's stance, you're allowed to request a reciprocal offer from your first choice if you receive an offer from another site that isn't your first choice before the UND. But you're bound to then accept the offer from your first choice if they make one.

Also, as a point of clarification for neuropsych (in case any applicants are reading): unless things have changed, match sites don't actually make a reciprocal offer that you then accept. But they can tell you more information about your standing with them if you let them know you've received an offer from a non-match site (e.g., "if you rank us highly, you will match with us" or "you're not among our top applicants, but you are still under consideration").

At least according to APPIC's stance, you're allowed to request a reciprocal offer from your first choice if you receive an offer from another site that isn't your first choice before the UND. But you're bound to then accept the offer from your first choice if they make one.

Also, as a point of clarification for neuropsych (in case any applicants are reading): unless things have changed, match sites don't actually make a reciprocal offer that you then accept. But they can tell you more information about your standing with them if you let them know you've received an offer from a non-match site (e.g., "if you rank us highly, you will match with us" or "you're not among our top applicants, but you are still under consideration").

Great - thanks so much for clarifying!

Reactions: 1 user