This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SG32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a 22-year old who just graduated with a BS from a four-year university. Unfortunately, it took me a while to figure out which healthcare profession I truly wanted to pursue until my senior year of college.

I'm currently taking chemistry summer courses and am planning on taking 2-3 courses in both the upcoming fall and spring semesters. I understand that med schools want to see that you can balance a rigorous course schedule while shadowing/working/researching/volunteering etc. However, being a full-time commuter student while doing all these activities would be particularly challenging for me.

I'm wondering, what are your guys impressions of this? If I take only 2 or 3 courses per semester while working, shadowing, volunteering, and most likely doing research, would a med school look down on this since my course schedule isn't as jam-packed with heavy science courses as the traditional med student?

P.S. - I'll be taking the prerequisites at 4-year universities.

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering, what are your guys impressions of this? If I take only 2 or 3 courses per semester while working, shadowing, volunteering, and most likely doing research, would a med school look down on this since my course schedule isn't as jam-packed with heavy science courses as the traditional med student?

Nope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I literally did this exact same thing while also studying for the April MCAT. It's perfectly fine.

Thank you for the reassuring responses, everyone. :)