Rec letter for non-trad 5 years out of school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbonustoday

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college in 2012 major in biochem, took a gap year for volunteering/ECs, then did a 2-year grad program in genetic counseling (not post-bac) and has been working full-time as a genetic counselor for 2 years (clinical experience seeing patients with genetic issues in pregnancy).

I understand that the rec letter requirement for a traditional MD applicant is one from science faculty, one from non-science, and one from shadowing/volunteering/other ECs.

Given my background, here's a list of letters I can potentially get (quality ranked A-C):
  • 1-2 science letters from grad school; both from science courses (one rank A, one rank B)
  • 1-2 letters from the hospital where I work full-time. One from my line manager who is an MD and the head of a department (rank A); the other from a colleague (rank B)
  • 1 letter from my clinical rotations when I was in grad school (rank C)
  • 1 letter from my undergrad thesis advisor (rank C)
  • Note: my undergrad college does not have a pre-med committee
Should I just rank the letters by quality and do the top 3 for all schools? If this is ok I'd most likely submit two letters from my employer and 1-2 from grad school, and ZERO from undergrad.

Do schools have specific requirements on the academic letters? Do I NEED to provide letters from undergrad? Do I NEED to provide both science and non-science letters?

The main short board in my application is my low GPA. Is there anything I can do in rec letters for this?

Members don't see this ad.