Reasons for not matching EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know personality during interviews and pre-interview dinners are fairly important to match well into EM, but I was wondering what would make a student stand out in a bad way during an interview? I'm fairly quiet and am worried this may come across in a negative way especially for a specialty like EM.

Members don't see this ad.

I know personality during interviews and pre-interview dinners are fairly important to match well into EM, but I was wondering what would make a student stand out in a bad way during an interview? I'm fairly quiet and am worried this may come across in a negative way especially for a specialty like EM.

You don't have to be a Celtic tribal tattooed free climber to match EM. I was fairly quiet with all mine and matched my number one.

The answer isn't surprising; SLOEs, aways, Steps, and pedigree vs. the number of applicants per seat. It'll probably be easier now than ever with all the new programs available.

Just like every other specialty.

This isn't rocket science. Don't be a dickhead. Be nice and someone they can work with at 2 AM. All specialties take all kinds.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don’t try and fake it to be someone that you aren’t. EP’s are among the best at spotting fakers - we have a lot of experience.

As for being quiet, nobody likes a talker. As long as your SLOEs that you can communicate pertinent information, you should be fine.

Quiet is ok. The ones that screw up in the interview are the people who come across as overly negative (one time had a guy list the things he didn't like about my program... hahaha), the people that are really full of themselves and overly cocky, and the people that are flat out bizarre (honestly I've interviewed a handful of people I'm certain were bipolar). Just be normal, show up on time and sober.

Reactions: 1 user