Reasonable pay rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrowningInWork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be a reasonable hourly salary for an undergraduate with one year of experience in the lab + a second author publication? I'm considering asking my PI to be a paid RA after volunteering for a year...is this even acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take you to learn the lab? Can your PI replace you with another volunteer? How big is the lab? How is your PI doing on funding?

How long did it take you to learn the lab? Can your PI replace you with another volunteer? How big is the lab? How is your PI doing on funding?
Took me ~3 months at 15 hrs/wk to get good data. PI could replace me with a volunteer, but it would take time away from a grad student to train them, and honestly (and this may sound a little arrogant), I don't think he'll have an easy time finding someone as competent and committed as I have been. Lab has 8 full time members and 3 part time. PI is young but doing fine w/ funding (recently got first RO1).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask him if there are financial opportunities that you can explore. Don't ask a salary because they are going to give you close to minimum wage. You need beer money and the experience of working in a lab and publishing. Most PIs see undergrads as free labor and are paid in experience. Clearly this isn't absolute, hell I got paid for 2 years, but its not necessarily the norm.

Took me ~3 months at 15 hrs/wk to get good data. PI could replace me with a volunteer, but it would take time away from a grad student to train them, and honestly (and this may sound a little arrogant), I don't think he'll have an easy time finding someone as competent and committed as I have been. Lab has 8 full time members and 3 part time. PI is young but doing fine w/ funding (recently got first RO1).

1: graduate students don't have a limit on the hours they work. Your PI can say, "hey train this new person" at any time.

2: please don't take offense, but I promise you're replaceable.

3: it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe try, "I'm at a point where I need to start considering my finances. If I start looking for jobs, is payment on the table for this one?"

1: graduate students don't have a limit on the hours they work. Your PI can say, "hey train this new person" at any time.

2: please don't take offense, but I promise you're replaceable.

3: it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe try, "I'm at a point where I need to start considering my finances. If I start looking for jobs, is payment on the table for this one?"
Haha I'm not offended. I know I'm replaceable, but I feel that as someone who contributed a lot to one paper and is currently working on another (first author), I feel that I am at least a somewhat valuable lab member. Thanks for the advice!

Ask him if there are financial opportunities that you can explore. Don't ask a salary because they are going to give you close to minimum wage. You need beer money and the experience of working in a lab and publishing. Most PIs see undergrads as free labor and are paid in experience. Clearly this isn't absolute, hell I got paid for 2 years, but its not necessarily the norm.
Hahahahaha beer money. More like food-that-isn't-ramen money. *sobs deeply* I'm fine with minimum wage. But what other financial opportunities are there besides a salary?

They can nominate you for scholarships, grants, or awards. I got around $3000 one summer for being nominated by my PI for some random crap. Most institutions have tons of grants/awards that most students aren't aware of.

Be careful however you approach asking for money. One pre-med made mention of money and has since been excommunicated from our lab. Every situation is different but the MDs and PhDs I've worked under are very used to having people volunteer their time (for free) in order to be a contributor/author on a project. Unfortunately, I doubt they would pay you anything beyond minimum.

As mentioned, look around for mini grants/awards and maybe ask the PI to nominate you for them.

It sucks, I know. But working for too little/free will pay off if it helps getting into med school.

It generally doesn't hurt to ask, and I think it's totally acceptable. They may have money set aside in an R01 or NSF grant for training funds -- you never know unless you ask.

However, I wouldn't expect more than $8-10/hr for limited hours per week. It's pretty uncommon, AFAIK, to have funding for full-time staff just hanging around unused. Even in a well-funded lab at a big school in a big town, that's still what we paid RAs (realize some of that may be set by dept or grant regs).

Be careful however you approach asking for money. One pre-med made mention of money and has since been excommunicated from our lab. Every situation is different but the MDs and PhDs I've worked under are very used to having people volunteer their time (for free) in order to be a contributor/author on a project. Unfortunately, I doubt they would pay you anything beyond minimum.

As mentioned, look around for mini grants/awards and maybe ask the PI to nominate you for them.

It sucks, I know. But working for too little/free will pay off if it helps getting into med school.
Ahhh ****, just for mentioning it? Well, poop. But yeah, I'll definitely ask around about grants and that type of thing. Thanks!

It generally doesn't hurt to ask, and I think it's totally acceptable. They may have money set aside in an R01 or NSF grant for training funds -- you never know unless you ask.

However, I wouldn't expect more than $8-10/hr for limited hours per week. It's pretty uncommon, AFAIK, to have funding for full-time staff just hanging around unused. Even in a well-funded lab at a big school in a big town, that's still what we paid RAs (realize some of that may be set by dept or grant regs).
Hm, would it be different if I were working full time over the summer? I've heard that it's more common to get paid in that situation.

Hm, would it be different if I were working full time over the summer? I've heard that it's more common to get paid in that situation.
Everyplace is different but there are usually paid positions for pre-meds and others for summer research. However, with the cautions I gave you early, I'd search this through the university, not by asking the PI.

Everyplace is different but there are usually paid positions for pre-meds and others for summer research. However, with the cautions I gave you early, I'd search this through the university, not by asking the PI.
It seems like the only options for undergrads at my university entail funding your research, not actually getting paid for it. :/

It seems like the only options for undergrads at my university entail funding your research, not actually getting paid for it. :/
Yeah then that's likely going to be the case. It's ok though! The first author paper/project you spoke of should make it worth it, just make sure it gets published.