Reasonable housing expenses for big city

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLCY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I recently got accepted into a DPT program in Orlando, and will definitely have to find housing. I just wanted to know if anyone has advice on how much I should stick to paying per month. This is my first time moving out and so far from what I’ve seen, it’s either pay $1000+ per month for an apartment (pretty expected in Orlando) or stay at a cheaper runndown apartment. I will be taking out loans for tuition and housing, and tuition is already about $95k. I guess I would like any insight on DPT students who might have been in a similar situation. I’m not sure if I should just go ahead and stay at the nicer place or if it’s a big deal and I should look into the sketchier cheaper places..

This will be my first time moving out as well as taking out loans really (was fortunate enough in undergrad to only take out one very very small loan) so I want to make sure I do it right I guess. Also I’m aware some of the nicer apartments I can split rent with a roommate (which would be ideal), I just haven’t met anyone in my cohort yet so just in case I’m looking for a place just for myself.

Members don't see this ad.