Reason why two of UCSF's renowned professor/dean leave UCSF for NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFx2017

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a significant correlation as to why both Dr. Bertolami (dean of UCSF dental school) and Dr. Schmidt (associate professor of UCSF's OMFS) left UCSF for NYU? Maybe it's just a coincidence that they both left but was there a conflict that UCSF was undergoing?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a significant correlation as to why both Dr. Bertolami (dean of UCSF dental school) and Dr. Schmidt (associate professor of UCSF's OMFS) left UCSF for NYU? Maybe it's just a coincidence that they both left but was there a conflict that UCSF was undergoing?

One has to think that on some level, there's a bit of uncertainty about the stream of funding coming into any public school in CA now - even after the results of the "Please tax the cr@p out of me" resolutions last week ;)

In the short term atleast, it's not too tough to fathom that a private school won't be having nearly as many potential problems about its annual operating expenses when compared to a public school in a financially strapped state.

As for the 2 admins going together - not that uncommon in any type of business (and yes, dental school is a business) that when the "boss" moves onto another location that they'll try and take some of their most trusted employees/assets with them to allow them to acheive some of the same success that they had in their old job as quickly as possible

Top state income tax rate for Cali is now 13.5%, which about same as the 9% New York state + 3.6% NYC income tax. They should get a better cpa like Lebron James/Ray Allen and move to Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
california is so hopeless. what is sad is that the rest of the country is moving in the direction of california. that is why we are doomed.

Top state income tax rate for Cali is now 13.5%, which about same as the 9% New York state + 3.6% NYC income tax. They should get a better cpa like Lebron James/Ray Allen and move to Florida.

Not that they're that much lower, but one could always live in CT or NJ and have a lower state tax than in NY - still gotta deal with the NYC income tax though :eek: Plus i'm guessing that post Superstorm Sandy that there's some deals to be had on CT and NJ waterfront houses that might need a bit of fixing up :(

I'm guessing that one will see a decent number of CA residents, who will now be hit with their new "please tax the cr@p outta me" rates, that will no longer have CA as either their primary residence, or even any residence at all

That's interesting. My professor that I worked for at UCSF eventually left to NYU as well (from the endo department). NYU could be shelling out a ton for them, as they are a private institution.

These guys have been at NYU for awhile and came years apart. I'm sure Dean Bertolami (an oral surgeon) had something to do with Dr. Schmidt's (also an oral surgeon) eventual move, but my guess is that it had more to do with how much NYU offered to pay rather than something being inherently wrong with UCSF. Also, although Dean Bertolami's transition was horizontal, Dr. Schmidt is the director of NYU's Bluestone Center for research which has to have been a large promotion.

Well, that means that both of them negotiated a much higher salary and benefits than what they were receiving from UCSF. BTW, NYU salary is not a public info (they are private school) whereas UCSF salary is fully disclosed on the University of California website (if you know how to look for it...)