Reapplying with new race

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry, but if you don't look like the "race" you claim you are, and have no real connections to the culture of that race and have never faced discrimination because of your race, you should NOT be able to claim underrepresented status to help your application.

Your head has probably been stuck in your MD/PhD orifice for so long that you don't realize how competitive admissions are now. If she can claim URM, she should, because God knows that there are a thousand other applicants who are 1/16th Native American claiming URM. She is not explicitly lying or being dishonest. There aren't any Native Americans around to discriminate against anyway. Every argument you're making is so petty and frivolous. She is not lying.

Members don't see this ad.

I may be going against the tide here, but as long as he's not falsely representing himself and making it clear he's only 1/4 native american, how is this wrong?

I knew a (white) kid who was extremely active in ethnic organizations because they interested him, can he claim that he is that ethnicity just because he was involved? On the same hand, does your race change because you aren't involved with ethnic groups? Obviously No to both, so why cant he say he found out he's 1/4th native american? If you have your tribal affiliation card, why not apply as a Native american?

Exactly. I'm sick of these people who already have acceptances, are in med school, or doing their MD/PhD for God's sake, telling current applicants that they should take the moral high ground and not claim URM just because they were never discriminated against. What a load of crap.

Why don't YOU graduate in 2009, only to find that the job market has evaporated overnight, and that grad applications are 30% up?

Anyway, I'm going to go shadowing now, so I won't be back until later to laugh at whatever you write back.