Reapplying to Medical Schools for a Third Time Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZBob098

Reaction score
Hello fellow pre-meds. This past Friday, I was not able to match at any of the 4 schools I interviewed at (also applied OOS but received no interviews; strictly TMDSAS interviews; also a Texas resident). I felt like my second application this cycle really was much better than the first. In terms of experiences for the second time around: I started a scribe position, a research assistant position at a lab, continued volunteering at a volunteer clinic once a week, and also partook in a post bac program at a university. I also thought my interviews went well, due to the fact that after I emailed “Thank You” letters, I got responses saying “it was great talking to you and we would love for you to attend our school.”

So this time around I’m aiming to pursue an MS or MPH program. If that is not possible (due to me not strategizing a third time reapplication and currently rushing my apps for masters programs) I’m considering a “research data coordinator” position. I also don’t know how much I can change my primaries/secondaries this time around because I felt like I put so much effort into them and they still elaborate the person I currently am.

Please tell me your thoughts/advice on my approach right now.

My stats are: 3.6ish sGPA, 3.78 cGPA, 510 Mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your school list? What about shadowing and ECs? How many hours for your activities? Did you have objective parties look over your personal statement and secondaries and have you had feedback (other than polite replies from schools) about your interview performance? Based on your stats getting a master's might be overkill.

Work with your premed advisor on interviews. If you know what type of interview it will be, try to simulate. I found it especially good to simulate a closed file interview with an advisor I had never met.

I would advise to you rewrite everything. I didn't have anyone else read mine, but a major part of my livelihood is writing, so I'm pretty good as my own editor; I don't think that's the case for most people. You can write about the same experience from a different viewpoint, but if the school has already seen the essay why would they want to see it again? I say this as someone who rewrote everything for every cycle I've applied, and I finally had some success this time. I touched on some of the same experiences this year as I did last year, but I didn't reuse anything, I started each application over completely except for letting AMCAS and AACOMAS recycle my demographic information.

Apply as broadly as you are able to, and keep schools on your list that you had a good experience with, even if you didn't get the II or the A. The school that accepted me this year was one where I had to talk to admissions about a payment issue last year. They were extremely kind in my interaction, so they stayed on my list. I also kept schools where I was waitlisted last year, although I've heard nothing from those schools this year.

Look at programs where you can be passionate about their mission and where you have a realistic chance of getting in. I chose to limit my MD applications to only schools in my state (my state has several, but I'm not in TX) and DO schools I applied broadly. Make sure that every school you apply to you could see yourself at, because if you only get the one acceptance it's take it or leave it. Also, leave yourself open to the possibility that which school you prefer may change. The school that accepted me ended up being a lot better fit than I was expecting for a myriad of reasons. I ended up applying to 19 programs, which might be a little bit low as a reapplicant, but I was limited by how much I could afford. I got three interview, and so far I have one acceptance, one waitlist, and one outstanding result.

I did a master's program in a discipline that interested me (not an SMP) where I was able to get outstanding letters of recommendation and conduct research that I could talk about in my application and interviews.

I also notice that you don't mention service to others, especially non-clinical. What do you do to help your community? If you haven't already, find something you're passionate about outside of medicine and give of yourself. My volunteer experience has led directly to a population that I want to serve as a physician, even though it's not clinical, and I was able to speak passionately about it during my interviews. When I mentioned that I had agreed to continue working with the program remotely for the next five years I believe that it spoke to interviewers of my passion and commitment to service.

Members don't see this ad :)
MPH a waste of time and money. MS not needed for you. What are your volunteer hours?

Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly to DO schools and you should receive several interviews. I suggest these schools:
TCOM
UIWSOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Touro-NY
ACOM

Dr. Gray frequently does interviews with a former adcom from a texas school! I would check that out and possibly ask for their advice. Good luck!

I had 4 II as well and also did not match and it sucked man. 3.6 cGPA and a 515, I'm on 6 WL but my plan is to focus mostly on DO schools if I dont get in, so that's what I recommend. You are doing things right since you got 4 interviews, apply again TMDSAS and add a bunch of DO schools, location doesn't matter. OOS MDs will be a waste of money and time since you are a TX resident.

Reactions: 1 user