Reapplying.. Tips to Improve App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njt26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I applied this current cycle (2018-2019) and had no luck, and only one interview. My pre-med advisor has no advice for me and suggested I just try again in the upcoming cycle, but that seems useless to me if nothing in my app changes. I am hoping someone could help me identify my biggest weaknesses.
Summary of my app:
511 MCAT
3.78 sGPA
3.73 oGPA
BME degree, pretty well-respected private university
200 shadowing hours
400+ research hours
150 volunteering hours (50 clinical)
Worked part-time through entire undergrad
Two years working as a Resident Assistant, which was a pretty big part of my undergrad experience
5 different leadership positions (student government, advisor to freshman council, etc)
Florida resident
One bad semester junior year where I received 2 C's (one was Orgo II) due to mental health issues and hospitalization, but when asked in apps I should generalized it and said health issues

My current plan is just to get as many more clinical hours as I can, both volunteering and shadowing. Is the best improvement? Should I retake the MCAT? Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to and where were you interviewed ? When were your secondaries submitted ?

Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to and where were you interviewed ? When were your secondaries submitted ?
Thanks for the response!
I'm a Florida resident,
Applied to:
Miami
FIU
FAU
Nova Southeastern Allopathic (INTERVIEW)
UF
USF
South Alabama
Alabama
U of Oklahoma
Creighton
Meharry
Tufts
Boston U
Dartmouth
Brown

Most of my secondaries were submitted July-September, a few I applied to later in October/November (that I can think of.. Nova, Creighton, Brown).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response!
I'm a Florida resident,
Applied to:
Miami
FIU
FAU
Nova Southeastern Allopathic (INTERVIEW)
UF
USF
South Alabama
Alabama
U of Oklahoma
Creighton
Meharry
Tufts
Boston U
Dartmouth
Brown

Most of my secondaries were submitted July-September, a few I applied to later in October/November (that I can think of.. Nova, Creighton, Brown).
I would get rid of Brown, BU, Tufts, UF and Dartmouth. Those schools like high MCATs. Are you URM since you applied to Meharry? I think you have a strong app, but a small school list with too many "reaches". I would get a job in the medical field and reapply next cycle adding schools with lower MCATs. I applied to 35 schools and have 3 acceptances. Sometimes you gotta go all in.

Your OOS school list was not good. Meharry accepts mainly URM. The Alabama and Oklahoma schools accept very few non residents with your stats and Tufts, Boston U, Dartmouth and Brown were reaches. You should have applied to Florida State and Central Florida. Also your late secondaries hurt your chances at those schools. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
ALL your Florida schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
You do not need more shadowing hours but another 100 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact would help.
It is important to apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
It would also be a good idea to apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
[
I would get rid of Brown, BU, Tufts, UF and Dartmouth. Those schools like high MCATs. Are you URM since you applied to Meharry? I think you have a strong app, but a small school list with too many "reaches". I would get a job in the medical field and reapply next cycle adding schools with lower MCATs. I applied to 35 schools and have 3 acceptances. Sometimes you gotta go all in.
Your OOS school list was not good. Meharry accepts mainly URM. The Alabama and Oklahoma schools accept very few non residents with your stats and Tufts, Boston U, Dartmouth and Brown were reaches. You should have applied to Florida State and Central Florida. Also your late secondaries hurt your chances at those schools. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
ALL your Florida schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
You do not need more shadowing hours but another 100 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact would help.
It is important to apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
It would also be a good idea to apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Thanks y'all!
I'll definitely admit that I didn't do enough research into which OOS schools don't accept OOS (I now know Oklahoma is like one of the bottom 5 in OOS *facepalm*), so while I thought I was applying to schools whose stats I was a great match for, I didn't stand a chance.
Will expand my schools this time and have the secondaries ready to go for July! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with you, I'd add a bit more clinical experience, via volunteer or paid work. MCAT retake isn't necessary!

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say you should 100% focus on clinical volunteering. That's the biggest gap that I see in your app.

Reactions: 1 user