Reapplying, low MCAT, Medical Sciences/post bac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abenguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this will be my first post on SDN. Here's my summary

-UT Arlington Graduate (December 2011, 3.5 years if that matters). Overall GPA 3.75, Science 3.72.
-Applied for 2012 entry year with 21 MCAT (9P 4V 8B, I knew the terrible verbal score wouldn't help but applied anyways, this was my second attempt. The first was a 19...)
-With no interviews (obvious and expected), applied and gained acceptance to the Post-bac/Medical Sciences Program at UNTHSC of which I am a current student now.
-In the process of reapplying, took my MCAT 8/10/12, and sadly only improved to a 22 (9P 5V 8B). The summer provided TPR prep and a biostats course which I received a B.
-Application is complete and submitted. I know my chances are fairly low with multiple low MCAT scores and a starting Graduate GPA of 3.00 with the only grade from the summer.

The time to study for MCAT again is scarce with a full course load to finish the master's program by next May. Plus a 4th MCAT looks bad, really bad.

Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The graduate GPA of a 3.0 will kill you. You nee to evaluate you're studying of the MCAT by dedicated 5+ hours a day. If you don't have time, wait until you do. Honestly, it would've been better if you sent in the applications before the summer transcripts released but no use crying over spilled milk.

With such a good GPA, you have the mental capacity to score well on the MCAT. If you can't set aside 3+ hours a day studying for the test from here until spring then wait until end of summer and apply the year after.

22 won't get any responses for MD but maybe a few DO interviews. 4 tests look bad, but don't stress it so much, people have made gotten into medical school with more retakes. shoot for a 32+ and assuming you have good extracarriculars, you should be set for allopathic for next cycle.

The graduate GPA of a 3.0 will kill you. You nee to evaluate you're studying of the MCAT by dedicated 5+ hours a day. If you don't have time, wait until you do. Honestly, it would've been better if you sent in the applications before the summer transcripts released but no use crying over spilled milk.

With such a good GPA, you have the mental capacity to score well on the MCAT. If you can't set aside 3+ hours a day studying for the test from here until spring then wait until end of summer and apply the year after.

22 won't get any responses for MD but maybe a few DO interviews. 4 tests look bad, but don't stress it so much, people have made gotten into medical school with more retakes. shoot for a 32+ and assuming you have good extracarriculars, you should be set for allopathic for next cycle.

What sucks about the graduate GPA is that I'm required to put in my coursework and planned coursework for this next year in. Therefore they required I send the transcript in regardless so they would see my single B for the one course I only get a grade in. With this curriculum there's no way I can dedicate 1 hour a day for MCAT studying. My full day's are dedicated to my current courses and even then it's tough to keep up (in a supposed 75% speed comparing of MS1).

I assumed so for MD schools. I plan to fill out AACOMAS soon and hopefully get some interviews at a few out of state DO schools. I have read and heard of people with 4+/multiple tests getting interviews/matriculating.

My extracurriculars are decent and I'm currently an ER scribe working PRN. I'm hoping TCOM will give me an interview being I'm in their current graduate program.

Members don't see this ad :)
What sucks about the graduate GPA is that I'm required to put in my coursework and planned coursework for this next year in. Therefore they required I send the transcript in regardless so they would see my single B for the one course I only get a grade in. With this curriculum there's no way I can dedicate 1 hour a day for MCAT studying. My full day's are dedicated to my current courses and even then it's tough to keep up (in a supposed 75% speed comparing of MS1).

I assumed so for MD schools. I plan to fill out AACOMAS soon and hopefully get some interviews at a few out of state DO schools. I have read and heard of people with 4+/multiple tests getting interviews/matriculating.

My extracurriculars are decent and I'm currently an ER scribe working PRN. I'm hoping TCOM will give me an interview being I'm in their current graduate program.

Unless you have no or little previous clinical experience, desperately need the money, or work 1 day a week, stop scribing and work on your academics. A 22 MCAT will pretty much close all doors. This is what is preventing you from getting interviews and will probably prevent TCOM from accepting you even with an interview. With a 27+ and a 7+ in each section you have an excellent shot at DO and maybe some state schools. If you get a gGPA < 3.5 you will probably close more doors as well.

The MedSci program can pretty much only hurt you with such a high undergrad GPA. Your gGPA at TCOM should be on par or better by the time you finish (3.7+). And with an MCAT less than the mean (25) it will be tough to get an interview at most schools, regardless of you uGPA or gGPA. They want to know you do well on standardized testing and will succeed on the boards.

I would probably plan on taking a gap year after MedSci to study all summer for the MCAT and take in September, then spend time volunteering (clinical and non clinical) and working in your community before applying early the next year (2014) with all your weaknesses addressed. Taking your time and doing things well will get you results, don't try to rush it and bomb another retake or tank your gGPA at MedSci.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have no or little previous clinical experience, desperately need the money, or work 1 day a week, stop scribing and work on your academics. A 22 MCAT will pretty much close all doors. This is what is preventing you from getting interviews and will probably prevent TCOM from accepting you even with an interview. With a 27+ and a 7+ in each section you have an excellent shot at DO and maybe some state schools. If you get a gGPA < 3.5 you will probably close more doors as well.

The MedSci program can pretty much only hurt you with such a high undergrad GPA. Your gGPA at TCOM should be on par or better by the time you finish (3.7+). And with an MCAT less than the mean (25) it will be tough to get an interview at most schools, regardless of you uGPA or gGPA. They want to know you do well on standardized testing and will succeed on the boards.

I would probably plan on taking a gap year after MedSci to study all summer for the MCAT and take in September, then spend time volunteering (clinical and non clinical) and working in your community before applying early the next year (2014) with all your weaknesses addressed. Taking your time and doing things well will get you results, don't try to rush it and bomb another retake or tank your gGPA at MedSci.

Funny you state those criteria cause I meet all of them. Need the money, had very little clinical experience prior to scribing (junior volunteering at a hospital and a few clinic hours), I do literally work 1 shift a week if that. September I work 4 shifts the entire month.

I'm really trying to hit it harder for my MedSci right now. I'm still trying to get the flow of exams and such. I know my MCAT is low and my chances are miniscule. I want to fully prepare correctly for one last MCAT and make that 27+ avg 7+ in each section. When you say year gap, you mean apply for entry 2014 next year right? Wouldn't taking my MCAT in September be extremely late though? I can always start volunteering and continue scribing next summer to boost my application, though now I've placed about 300 hours of scribing under my belt.

I mean apply in 2014 for entry in 2015. This will give you all summer (500+ hrs) to really study for the MCAT, a chance to beef up all your service experience (sept 2013-june 2014), and you can apply early in June 2014. It gives you your best application possible (within reason) and should show substantial improvement over your current app.

I wouldn't risk another poor MCAT performance by taking only several weeks to prep, clearly it is a weakness of yours and needs significant focus placed on it. You have already taken 3 and still are below the mean. You absolutely need to find out why you're scoring so poorly and have to have a realistic plan to get a decent score. Maybe you could spend May/June and get an ok score to apply next year, but after the previous 3 tries I wouldn't bank on it. This is why I would take the gap year. You have a real chance to turn all of your weaknesses into strengths (MCAT, clinical) and apply early the following year.

For now focus on crushing MedSci (3.7+) and make a list of your perceived strengths and weaknesses with a plan to mitigate the weaknesses by app time in 2014. I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but taking the time to do things well is pretty much a neccessity with the MCAT hole you've dug yourself.

I mean apply in 2014 for entry in 2015. This will give you all summer (500+ hrs) to really study for the MCAT, a chance to beef up all your service experience (sept 2013-june 2014), and you can apply early in June 2014. It gives you your best application possible (within reason) and should show substantial improvement over your current app.

I wouldn't risk another poor MCAT performance by taking only several weeks to prep, clearly it is a weakness of yours and needs significant focus placed on it. You have already taken 3 and still are below the mean. You absolutely need to find out why you're scoring so poorly and have to have a realistic plan to get a decent score. Maybe you could spend May/June and get an ok score to apply next year, but after the previous 3 tries I wouldn't bank on it. This is why I would take the gap year. You have a real chance to turn all of your weaknesses into strengths (MCAT, clinical) and apply early the following year.

For now focus on crushing MedSci (3.7+) and make a list of your perceived strengths and weaknesses with a plan to mitigate the weaknesses by app time in 2014. I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but taking the time to do things well is pretty much a neccessity with the MCAT hole you've dug yourself.

It definitely is not what I want to hear in my current position. I feel like scribing has given me plenty of clinical experience, along with the 40 hours of shadowing I'm required to put in for the program of which I already completed half. What I'd like to possibly do is reapply next year early as possible in May or June the first week and take my MCAT near the end of the summer. But I understand that by doing that, I will only be able to update my graduate grades and my number of scribing hours with a few volunteer events for my application. I'm perfectly fine with taking this one year off after UG by doing MedSci before med school, and with my circumstance I understand a second year. But a third gap year just seems so much. I know it's probably the best option I have now to make the best application possible, but the time consumed just isn't appealing.

Sometimes the long road is the best one. But definitely get others opinions too.

Key reasons to delay:
-don't risk another bad MCAT
-you need time to give yourself a chance to score well on the MCAT
-you will have an extended period of involvement on a clinical level (scribing for 1.5+ yrs)
-you will apply early
-plenty of time to get good LORs
-give yourself time to succeed in MedSci instead of trying to study for the MCAT at the same time
-time to beef up ECs
-possibly give yourself more in state and out of state options with a solid MCAT (wider base to apply to)

I understand your impatience as I am on a academic comeback and there have been no shortcuts. I chose to take the slightly longer road to put forth my best next year and hopefully it will pay off. Good luck!

Your situation is very unfortunate. a couple of things.

1. The MCAT is an important if not the most important factor in MD admissions. it has been broken for u, and it looks like it cant be fixed.

2. r u scribing bc u need the money? most premeds do it for med school apps, not for money. u can make more money doing other things,

3. your EC is not the problem. Your low MCAT scores seriously raises questions about your 3.7 gpa. even if you were to score in the mid to high 20s, u should ask yourself whether this will have any benefit to u in relation to costs in money and time spent.

Your situation is very unfortunate. a couple of things.

1. The MCAT is an important if not the most important factor in MD admissions. it has been broken for u, and it looks like it cant be fixed.

2. r u scribing bc u need the money? most premeds do it for med school apps, not for money. u can make more money doing other things,

3. your EC is not the problem. Your low MCAT scores seriously raises questions about your 3.7 gpa. even if you were to score in the mid to high 20s, u should ask yourself whether this will have any benefit to u in relation to costs in money and time spent.

1. Can't be fixed? That's much more negative connotation I don't really like to hear. I thought this forum was supposed to be for positive comments and motivation? Unlike you, the others have given me positive criticism and what I should and can do to improve my application.

2. Let me rephrase my scribing situation. I've been scribing for the experience. No one can say, honestly at least, that they do scribing for the money. It's pay's near minimum wage and no one can live off that for 40 hours/week. The reason I say it's for the money, is because it is the best option for me right now in terms of gaining clinical experience while helping put some money in my pocket at the same time.

3. Now this is more of what I like to hear. Sure it has costed me plenty of time and money to not do well. But if I want to be a doctor I have to score well on it don't I?

To be honest I'm really surprised by your response. I thought this forum was more professional in the sense of pre-medical students, medical students, and physicians all providing mature knowledge and information for future physicians. Your multiple usages of 'u' rather than 'you' makes me wonder how valid any of your suggestions or opinions are. Not to mention your September 2012 join date; sure I joined in December of 2011 and didn't post, but I'll admit that I'm new here to learn and gain information to benefit the purpose behind my time here. i.e. TwinsFan suggestions was much more beneficial to me than anything you just tried to say.

is this the twilight zone? sorry that you UUuU find my response unprofessional. i thought i was trying to help UuU. but this is your life, not mine.

i wish i could tell UuU that your MCAT score will improve drastically, but chances r that any improvement will be only a few points higher. bc if u could improve, why didnt u do so the four previous times. but hey, prove me wrong, right?

I use my ipad for these posts. easier to type UuUU instead of you. did that thought really cross your mind?

final pt. i want everyone to do well. im in the same boat as u. looking to apply nontrad. 3.6 gpa no mcat yet. if i thought positive reinforcement would help you, i would have said as much.

A 4 or 5 in verbal is not going to cut it at any MD or DO school. That's less than 50% of the right answers.

is this the twilight zone? sorry that you UUuU find my response unprofessional. i thought i was trying to help UuU. but this is your life, not mine.

i wish i could tell UuU that your MCAT score will improve drastically, but chances r that any improvement will be only a few points higher. bc if u could improve, why didnt u do so the four previous times. but hey, prove me wrong, right?

I use my ipad for these posts. easier to type UuUU instead of you. did that thought really cross your mind?

final pt. i want everyone to do well. im in the same boat as u. looking to apply nontrad. 3.6 gpa no mcat yet. if i thought positive reinforcement would help you, i would have said as much.

:thumbup:

A 4 or 5 in verbal is not going to cut it at any MD or DO school. That's less than 50% of the right answers.

Thanks for clarifying.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Can't be fixed? That's much more negative connotation I don't really like to hear. I thought this forum was supposed to be for positive comments and motivation? Unlike you, the others have given me positive criticism and what I should and can do to improve my application.

2. Let me rephrase my scribing situation. I've been scribing for the experience. No one can say, honestly at least, that they do scribing for the money. It's pay's near minimum wage and no one can live off that for 40 hours/week. The reason I say it's for the money, is because it is the best option for me right now in terms of gaining clinical experience while helping put some money in my pocket at the same time.

3. Now this is more of what I like to hear. Sure it has costed me plenty of time and money to not do well. But if I want to be a doctor I have to score well on it don't I?

To be honest I'm really surprised by your response. I thought this forum was more professional in the sense of pre-medical students, medical students, and physicians all providing mature knowledge and information for future physicians. Your multiple usages of 'u' rather than 'you' makes me wonder how valid any of your suggestions or opinions are. Not to mention your September 2012 join date; sure I joined in December of 2011 and didn't post, but I'll admit that I'm new here to learn and gain information to benefit the purpose behind my time here. i.e. TwinsFan suggestions was much more beneficial to me than anything you just tried to say.

Maybe I can help you out and let you know the issue as I was on the admissions commitee when I was in med school. Your GPA is fine, and your extracurriculars are fine. The issue is the MCAT. That exam is the equalizer of everyone. Basically, there are enough MD spots for everyone who scores a 30 or higher on the exam. Medical school involves a lot of reading and processing of information. The MCAT tests that ability and having a 4 on verbal reasoning is a real hair raiser. Now, if you got a 35 on the MCAT and I was an admissions officer, I would interview you and figure out why you initially did poorly. If you gave me a good explanation, there would would be a good chance of an admission. Also, the medical schools like to show they have high MCAT averages. We don't like taking people who are going to fail out and the MCAT score helps give us an idea.

Again, nobody wants to be mean on this forum. The truth of the matter is we are born with certain abilities. I would love to play professional baseball, but that will never happen. I just don't have the ability.

Maybe I can help you out and let you know the issue as I was on the admissions commitee when I was in med school. Your GPA is fine, and your extracurriculars are fine. The issue is the MCAT. That exam is the equalizer of everyone. Basically, there are enough MD spots for everyone who scores a 30 or higher on the exam. Medical school involves a lot of reading and processing of information. The MCAT tests that ability and having a 4 on verbal reasoning is a real hair raiser. Now, if you got a 35 on the MCAT and I was an admissions officer, I would interview you and figure out why you initially did poorly. If you gave me a good explanation, there would would be a good chance of an admission. Also, the medical schools like to show they have high MCAT averages. We don't like taking people who are going to fail out and the MCAT score helps give us an idea.

Again, nobody wants to be mean on this forum. The truth of the matter is we are born with certain abilities. I would love to play professional baseball, but that will never happen. I just don't have the ability.

Thanks for your input. I will consider taking it again next summer, since I do not have adequate time to devote during my Med Sci program and the 1 month winter break isn't enough for me to truly improve my the score the amount it needs. Do you think making at least a 30 will have schools look at me, or even scores such as 27/28? Or am I really pushed to making close to 35 for this 4th try?

If you want to go to an MD you need a MINIMUM of 30 and even that is pushing it. I think a 27 would be fine for DO though. Good luck!

Thanks for your input. I will consider taking it again next summer, since I do not have adequate time to devote during my Med Sci program and the 1 month winter break isn't enough for me to truly improve my the score the amount it needs. Do you think making at least a 30 will have schools look at me, or even scores such as 27/28? Or am I really pushed to making close to 35 for this 4th try?

Sure, getting a 30 will at least get you into DO, and you may get some interviews at some lower rung US MD schools. Looking at your post I think you said your highest MCAT was 22, so you really are worlds apart from getting to that 30. Even a 27/28 is pretty far away from a 22, so you may want to find someone who has achieved the 30 and find out how they studied.

Remember, these medical schools don't want you as a student failing out. It would be a waste of your time and money. Medical school in general is very expensive and your tuition only covers about 1/4th of the real cost of attendance. The state pays the rest. I remember being on the adcom committee I was very hesitant on taking people with MCATs below 25 and almost all of those students had trouble keeping up and a few failed out. I found that score of 28 and higher were pretty sure bets for success.

Best of luck with everything.

Sure, getting a 30 will at least get you into DO, and you may get some interviews at some lower rung US MD schools. Looking at your post I think you said your highest MCAT was 22, so you really are worlds apart from getting to that 30. Even a 27/28 is pretty far away from a 22, so you may want to find someone who has achieved the 30 and find out how they studied.

Remember, these medical schools don't want you as a student failing out. It would be a waste of your time and money. Medical school in general is very expensive and your tuition only covers about 1/4th of the real cost of attendance. The state pays the rest. I remember being on the adcom committee I was very hesitant on taking people with MCATs below 25 and almost all of those students had trouble keeping up and a few failed out. I found that score of 28 and higher were pretty sure bets for success.

Best of luck with everything.

Very understandable. I will have to see how my med sci program works out, then I will consider my options for the following year. I will have to take the MCAT again regardless, and do what I can do to better my application.

I feel like the med sci program actually set you back in terms of money and progress. I know someone in a similar position in the med sci program who took the Mcat during med and did poorly the first time and will probably do poorly the second time do to the heavy courseload 2nd semester. She already knows that tcom has not considered her for an interview because they only interview so many med sci people. Unfortunately you can't turn back time and do what you should have done in the first place which is to just take a gap year (study for the Mcat and focus in ecs and apps) and not waste money on a masters with such a high gpa to forgo the risk of decreasing the competitiveness of your app by achieving a low gpa in the masters.

My best advice like others suggest is to take another yr off. Take the Mcat a few months after graduating from med sci so you have time to study and work in ecs and getting your app in early for the the 2014 app cycle.

Although others insist you must get a 30 in the Mcat to get into an Md program, I would say thats false. If you are a Texas applicant and all other things are strong in your application and you get your med sci gpa up to a 3.5 I think you will have a decent shot at a mid or low tier Texas Md school with a 27+. I say this because I know people with about a 3.5-3.7 ugpa including myself both URms and several non-urms who have gotten Texas Md interviews and acceptances with 27,28, and 29 Mcat scores. I really think its your essays, ecs , and lors that can give you that extra push. For do schools, I think you'll have a decent shot of you can get a 24+ on the Mcat. A 7 or higher in each section is a must though. A 4 in verbal isn't gonna cut it even for do schools, so try to focus on that. I decided to do a gap year instead of a masters since my gpa was decent and it's working well so far in terms of interviews even though my Mcat is lower than a 30. Tcom and 3 Md interviews so far.

I think if you take another year off to focus on your app, Mcat, and ecs you can do it! If you apply this may, I think you will again get poor results.

Reactions: 1 user
abenguyen - I would not reapply to medical school until you have completed a solid self study course that includes LOTS of practice exams; You need some gauge (while you are studying) that your VR scores are improving. Furthermore, I would wait to sign up for an mcat until you see multiple practice tests (official AAMC ones) that are above 7-8 in VR. Nobody likes to study for the MCAT, but your previous scores in VR def suggest there is a major issue with comprehension of either the material covered in the essay (maybe need to work on english comprehension?) or an issue as to what they are actually asking for in the questions (and why each of the wrong answers are wrong).

Study hard and master this test; hard work will enable you to persevere. gl and please take the advice on NOT taking another mcat until you are scoring above 7 in the older AAMC mcat practice tests...another low mcat will probably finish you off.

-UT Arlington Graduate (December 2011, 3.5 years if that matters). Overall GPA 3.75, Science 3.72.
-Applied for 2012 entry year with 21 MCAT (9P 4V 8B, I knew the terrible verbal score wouldn't help but applied anyways, this was my second attempt. The first was a 19...)
-With no interviews (obvious and expected), applied and gained acceptance to the Post-bac/Medical Sciences Program at UNTHSC of which I am a current student now.
-In the process of reapplying, took my MCAT 8/10/12, and sadly only improved to a 22 (9P 5V 8B). The summer provided TPR prep and a biostats course which I received a B.
-Application is complete and submitted. I know my chances are fairly low with multiple low MCAT scores and a starting Graduate GPA of 3.00 with the only grade from the summer.

The time to study for MCAT again is scarce with a full course load to finish the master's program by next May. Plus a 4th MCAT looks bad, really bad.

Any input?

Like others have suggested, you need to figure out your weaknesses first. Don't dwell too much on the past MCAT. What done is done. First thing first, you need to raise your VR score to at least an 8. Practice the hell out of it after you finished all your med sci courses. Getting below a 3.5 in Postbac. is detrimental to your already diminishing chances. Sometimes it's one's ability not to do well, but other times you just need more practices. If you can do well in school, you have what it takes to get it done. Don't apply until you think you can have a decent chance of acceptance. The committee has a very good memory of who is who. They will toss it out if they detect frequent applicants. GL

Hey Abenguyen,

I'm pretty new to SDN, but I wanted to tell you my story to give you some hope. I graduated in 2010 with a 4.0 gpa. I applied to med school in 2010 for entry year 2011. I decided to wait until after I graduated to study for the MCAT because I wanted to focus on school. During the summer of 2010 I worked full time at a hospital lab and studied for the MCAT. I took the test in August and completely bombed it (19). I didn't get any interview invites that year.

After bombing the test, I continued working at the hospital, which is giving me great healthcare exposure.I retook the MCAT in April 2012 after studying for a solid 6 months.I was disappointed again because I only made a 24. I retook it a month later after focusing on just the material I was having trouble with and taking verbal practice tests everyday (EK practice tests are great btw). I scored a 27 the next time, and while it may not be good for most people, I was really happy with it (especially my 11 verbal score).

My final MCAT score along with my ECs have gotten me 5 interviews to Texas schools this year, and I already received a prematch offer! The only school that even questioned me about my 3 MCAT attempts during the interview also happens to be the school that I prematched with.

Taking 2 or 3 gap years isn't a big deal. Like everyone else has said, focus on MedSci to prove to adcoms that you can handle the medical school curriculum. Take the time to study for the MCAT. Don't stress too much about it though. Yes it is your weakness, but you can overcome it. It was my weakness too, but it doesn't matter now. Good luck!!

Any input?

You should not have matriculated into a medical science masters with such a competitive overall and science gpa. That is a waste of your time and your money. WHY? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? You should've gone through an extended MCAT prep course instead. With a 19, 21, 22 a fourth MCAT isn't going to look any worse than your first three.

The problem is your MCAT. Time is scarce because you decided to enroll into a useless master's program and are rushing to apply again despite low scores. Make the time to improve your MCAT and everything will fall into place when you get the score you want.

I took the MCAT 3 times all while working full-time, volunteering, etc. The first time I took it, I made a dismal 20. The second time I made a 23. The third time I took it I made a 27Q (studied for a full 3 months). I practiced and practiced to bring it up to a 27. I applied late since I took the MCAT in August (got my score in September), and I currently have 4 interviews (3 DO, 1 MD). You can bring it up from a 22 to something competitive for DO schools (25 or 26). You just have to really take the time, put in the effort and focus on nothing else. Best of luck. It may be a long road ahead, but you'll get there.

+1 agree with this...

I took the MCAT 3 times all while working full-time, volunteering, etc. The first time I took it, I made a dismal 20. The second time I made a 23. The third time I took it I made a 27Q (studied for a full 3 months). I practiced and practiced to bring it up to a 27. I applied late since I took the MCAT in August (got my score in September), and I currently have 4 interviews (3 DO, 1 MD). You can bring it up from a 22 to something competitive for DO schools (25 or 26). You just have to really take the time, put in the effort and focus on nothing else. Best of luck. It may be a long road ahead, but you'll get there.

and I agree with this...
original poster is thinking about this from his point of view...but the problem is you need to think about it from the admissions' committee's point of of view. Why should they/would they taken someone with a very low verbal score, who may fail out and/or fail the US Medical Licensing exams, due to inability to comprehend the materials in med school. The speed that you have to study things is >>undergrad, so if reading comprehension is a problem that can be a big deal. Were you a science major in undergrad? Are you a reader of books, or not a big reader? Verbal was always my "good" section on the MCAT but I read voraciously as a preteen and teenager, and so I would always get awesome scores on verbal sections of standardized tests. Physics was my "bad" MCAT section but IMHO that is the easiest one to raise by memorizing stuff and studying problems, etc. The verbal section it is hard to cram for. IMHO what you really need to do is consider taking a prep course or get a tutor specifically for that section of the test. I've also heard people advise people just also to read New York Times or some other well written newspaper every day, just to get practice at reading things - don't know if that will help your test score for sure but might be worth a shot.

I also wonder if you are a native English speaker versus other 1st language, b/c that might be an issue affecting your score (if you are an immigrant or your parents are immigrants with English not their 1st language/not the language spoken at home).

I think you need several months dedicated at least partially to MCAT study and especially the verbal part. Also, to at least consider DO schools, and start looking in to that.

I also agree you didn't need the master's degree...that is for ppl with bad GPA's and that is the opposite of your problem.

Remember, there is data that people with low MCAT scores below the high 20's fail out of med school more often. If you don't believe it, you can look it up in Pubmed. This is one reason why the admissions committees care. Remember, they serve nobody (not the public, their school or the student they accept) if they accept people who end up not being able to do the work. It may seem harsh but it is reality and it is life. So you have to show them that you do have the ability. Also, if you look at it from the adcom point of view or that of other students applying with similar GPA's and extra currics and much higher MCAT that you, would it be "fair" if they accepted you, and not someone else, at this point in time?

I don't think the taking of the test multiple times is that huge of an issue, but you really need to not flub the verbal again so wait until you are ready. Also, you can't do anything about the 3 previous attempts, so no point to worry about that aspect of all this.

You do need a backup plan for what you will do if you don't end up in med school in a couple of years - everyone does. Would you like to be a scientist, a chemist, science teacher, other health profession like an audiologist, optometrist, etc.?