Reapplying for next PTCAS cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athleticdpt15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am planning on reapplying for the next PTCAS cycle. I am trying to shadow in as many different settings as possible, but with COVID-19 this is very challenging as all IP and most OP are essential personnel only. Besides that, I am planning on re-taking the GRE and obtaining my CSCS certification this summer. I am also planning on taking upper-level science courses too. Any other suggestions on how to strengthen my application? Any suggestions on what to do about shadowing hours with COVID?
Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
Seems like you're doing a lot for this next round which is great and will definitely be noticed! I would say just reach out to a lot of clinics and explain that you are aware of current situations but if there were any way you could shadow, you never know! Starting now, they may be able to start you in late April. I would also look into local nursing homes.
It always helps to have work hours as well in the setting if that is a possibility. Other things to review are letters of rec and see if you could get more from any PTs or make sure it is someone who will right you a strong letter.
Also, review your essay and have others read it, make sure it's not a cliche or a this, then, that format. You want your points to be strong, effective, and different. Maybe there's a different way you could portray your passion. I found that the essay was a huge part of admissions.
Finally, make sure you show other passions in your life and how that could relate to PT. My PTCAS had work hours as a tennis coach along with volunteer hours at weightlifting competitions. They want to know you have other passions but are ready to balance them with the high work load of school.
I hope this helps!

I'm normally on the side of "ask, the worst that can happen is they say no" but for now I would say DO NOT contact clinics about shadowing. You will not be able to, and just receiving your email/phone will add to the overwhelming mess everyone is dealing with. And honestly, shadowing is the icing on top, GRE and GPA are going to be much more important, so focus there. You will be applying with a class of COVID-19ers, so lots of folks will have stories on how COVID impacted them. If you can, without increasing risk to yourself,turn this into a positive and give back to your community during this challenging time, that can help as you compete against lots of students who will likely (and understandably) be explaining away poor performance in the face of COVID. But again, that is icing on top, grades/GRE first.

Reactions: 1 users