Reapplying after taking some time off....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.opieee

Reaction score
I'm a 24 year old Non-Traditional student that applied to dental school for the 2017/2018 cycle. I graduated from UNC Wilmington with a B.S. in Biology and a minor in Chemistry. My sGPA was a 3.1 and my overall GPA was a 3.3. I took the DAT 2 different times scoring a 19AA both times. During the 2017/2018 cycle I applied to 5 different schools and only managed to get 1 interview; in which I attended but was ultimately denied. I know my GPA and DAT scores are not the strongest but I am debating on doing grad school to get my masters in Physiology, then reapplying to dental school. Just curious as to how beneficial this would be or would I be better off just focusing on studying/taking the DAT for my final time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a low gpa and dat you didn’t do yourself a favor applying to five schools. If you apply again I’d do 15+ and include the expensive private options because they typically have lower averages.

I would look into doing a DIY postbacc (search for it) to improve your stats. Maybe retake courses you got Bs and Cs in.

Also what did you do to differently when studying for the DAT the second time? I think retaking it and getting a 21+ would do you some massive favors.

How are your ECs and essays? Have you called the schools that rejected you and asked what you can do to improve your chances next time?