MD & DO Reapplying after intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureRehabDoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to scramble into an intern year after failing to match PM&R. Can anyone explain what options are from here? I know that some PM&R programs will inevitably have Physician-only spots available, but as far as reapplying Categorical vs. Advanced, would it be fine to reapply Advanced and then take a research year? or would I have to do another intern year regardless? My understanding with that is that my final year of residency, I would only get half salary because the government would not pay for a 5th year. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I had to scramble into an intern year after failing to match PM&R. Can anyone explain what options are from here? I know that some PM&R programs will inevitably have Physician-only spots available, but as far as reapplying Categorical vs. Advanced, would it be fine to reapply Advanced and then take a research year? or would I have to do another intern year regardless? My understanding with that is that my final year of residency, I would only get half salary because the government would not pay for a 5th year. Any input?
Paging @j4pac who might have some PM&R input for you.

No, you do not need to do intern year again. You can take a year off waiting for your position to start if you do match next round.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply to all three program types. Take what you can get. The downside of a categorical program is that you would have to repeat an internship. The downside of an advanced program is that you'd have a gap year. There really isn't much of a downside to the Physician spots...but there are typically only a few a year.

I'd strongly recommend hanging out at the PM&R subforum. There are typically 1-2 spots per year that open up to either PGY-2 or PGY-3's that program coordinators/directors post outside of the match as a thread on that very forum. Persistence is often rewarded. Have your CV updated and ready.

Reactions: 1 users

There is currently a PGY-2 spot being advertised on the PMR forum. Get your butt over there asap and notify them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
There is currently a PGY-2 spot being advertised on the PMR forum. Get your butt over there asap and notify them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I appreciate you remembering me, but I'm only graduating this May, so, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to take the position.