Reapplying Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slapbetcomm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I applied this cycle and got 2 interviews, 1 waitlist. I was a late applicant (mid August primary, all secondaries sent early October). Starting to prepare for next application cycle and I'm not quite sure what to do moving forward...

CA resident
3.64 GPA
512 MCAT (PS: 129, BS: 129, CARS: 128, Psych/Soc: 126)

~ 250hr clinical volunteering
~ 500+hr clinical research in sexual assault (no publications though)
~ 100hr shadowing my PI who is an EM physician
~ 200hr non clinical volunteering (homeless shelters, LGBT center, a service trip working on sustainable farming projects)

I was a double major in bio and film production, so I have a lot of film ECs, leadership, a couple awards from film festivals, and paid work (at least 5,000+ hours).

Since graduation, I've been working professionally in the film industry as a cinematographer and animator. Some private tutoring to pay the bills. Volunteering for my local LGBT center (after school education, HIV counseling). And I've recently begun working as an EMT.

Besides that, I feel like not too much will change with my app this time around besides submitting much earlier. How much of an effect will submitting earlier have?

I could retake the MCAT? I was scoring higher on practice tests at the time, but it's been a while... I could get more shadowing hours in with another doc, but it might be hard with my EMT shifts now. And my letters will probably stay the same, I've considered getting a rec from my film work, but I don't really have a consistent boss that knows me well (it's a mixture of line producers, peers, and clients). And it would be hard to get a rec from my EMT work since I literally just started.

Trying to remain positive but I'm feeling more and more helpless each day... I had two interviews: SUNY Downstate (early Dec) and UCSF (late Feb). I was really passionate about UCSF, and was surprised and encouraged by the late interview invite, especially given my stats. But at this point it seems like that might have been fluke or glitch in the system...

Sorry for the exceedingly long post...Any advice would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not retake that MCAT. I think the lateness was the big issue and the EMT experience will serve you well. Obviously your app was pretty solid otherwise UCSF would not have touched you.

Thanks for the advice! I probably won't retake the MCAT, especially since it's pretty late now. Do you think I should reapply to the two schools that already interviewed me?